New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my twin with the goose we both shot at the same time yesterday, the other is me.
:D

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
[up][up] Don't use stakes put shells directly on ground A) No shadows. B) Don't have to punch holes in frozen earth.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have those shells up to high, push the stakes further into the ground(less shadows)
I will do that next time. It was cloudy when we set them out that morning. They move good in the wind dude.
Don't use stakes put shells directly on ground A) No shadows. B) Don't have to punch holes in frozen earth.
The ground wasn't frozen at all yesterday. It's better to have them on the stakes, get some movement out of them. I like to put decoys on the ground in the snow.[up]

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We brought that flock of lessers in to 15 yards and only left with one goose, I shot like crap.[hihi] We both shot that goose at the same time, head and heart.:D

·
Banned
601 Posts
yea, When I used them 99% of the time I used the stakes........Great movment even in little wind, If I remember correctly I drilled the holes so the feeders tip slightly forward when they move...Looks awesome

a little tip....If you are hunting in frozen ground, bring a cordless drill with a 5/16 or 3/8 bit....Punch through the first inch or 2 of frozen ground and teh stakes go in like butter...takes no time at all.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
....If you are hunting in frozen ground, bring a cordless drill with a 5/16 or 3/8 bit....Punch through the first inch or 2 of frozen ground and teh stakes go in like butter
That's a good idea. I usually use a masonry star punch and hammer, like you said just for the first few inches.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just incase you have nothing better to spend money on. but hey its on sale right now
I contemplated that thing a couple of times, but to me it's not worth that much money, all I got is tools being in carpentry and masonry, chances are I have something that will do the trick.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
big railroad spike and a hammer is the cheapest option. most people have atleast the hammer. drill idea is interseing though

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
big railroad spike and a hammer
The masonry star punch I use is pretty good, makes a lot of noise banging on it but it's does the trick.

·
Registered
481 Posts
hunk of rebar probably work just as well use it as a walking stick and most times should punch right through cheaper too, but the drill is effective seen guys use it but also seen em forget to charge the battery lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts