New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have a great new contact at Picatinny Arsenal and the Major and I are working on some big stuff for some prime bow hunting for the coming season with the possibility of some gun hunting!!!

Right now we have authorization from the Base Commander to take hold of a section of base that nobody is allowed to hunt. The idea for wounded warrior hunts was pitched and we now have roughly 6 clicks of land that we can use for these hunts. We are going to be building up some blinds and setting out feeders and cameras this summer for our heroes in an effort to get six (6 ea.) hunts going this coming season.

We are looking for three (3 ea.) “Wounded” Veterans for the Fall Bow Season and also three (3 ea.) for the Permit Bow season as well!!!

Right now by our talks this is what we are planning. The Heroes would arrive to base on a Thursday and they can head to the indoor archery range on base to make sure they are still on target with their compound or crossbow. They will be put up in some lodging (wheel chair accessible) on base and also provided meals from a small eatery on base as well. Friday and Saturday the Heroes would be hunting in the blinds and then during the afternoon between hunts and eating, the members would be taken out on a boat on the lakes on base to do some fishing if they so choose.

Now we are at the early planning stages of this so we are looking for any help from members that are willing to help us come build these blinds and also clear shooting lanes etc…we are also going to seek out donations that would help us purchase lumber, cameras, feeders, corn and the like. The Major is from SC and if he has to, he already mentioned having his Dad plant a few acres of corn that would be harvested just for this program!!! We are also going to aim to get some film crew guys in the blinds with these folks so we can film and edit the hunts to post online and also to give a copy to the members so they can cherish it forever.
I wanted to get this out to everyone early so I could get some input, find out who is willing to help us out, who would be willing to donate and also reach out there to find out what “Wounded Heroes” wanted to come up and hunt this untouched land!!!

Please comment to this post rather than send me a PM as it gets hard to track all the PMs I get from everything.

We look forward to making this a huge event and I cannot wait to hear some feedback from everyone, thanks in advance and have a great day,
Ryan Miller
Hunters Helping Heroes

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
we now have roughly 6 clicks of land
You have been hanging around military guys too long Ryan the lingo is starting to stick [hihi]

You guys got my number. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Steve

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I live right around the corner from Piccatinny. Let me know when and where, Ill lend a hand.
Donna

·
Registered
755 Posts
I am local and can come help. A bunch of my friends work on the base also, and am sure would be willing to come lend a hand as well. Let me know when you need people. i don't know how you are planning on getting everyone in, but if it helps i already have the sporting permit.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I have a couple hang on stands you could have. for camera man and/or a soldier is physically able to climb.
I just want to replace the bolts with stainless bolts. something i do every couple years.
Nick

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
we now have roughly 6 clicks of land
'Klick' and a klick is a measurement for distance, not coverage, unless you meant square klicks. ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I live around the corner and always used to take my kids there to watch the heli-pad.

Me and my 3 sons (17 and 18) would lend a hand without a problem...I also can recruit a person or two if need be.Just PM me.

Clearing some lanes now,would be easier. And just cut the grass in the lanes til they open up.

You might see if its along snake hill rd..You have the helipad there and plenty of open grass.And there are some lands next to it also.

I'd have access to some chain saws ,weed wackers , and some other stuff.

Awsome property up there.Flats, brooks, hills and lakes.Rumor has it the had a golf course there.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You know I am there for whatever you need. [up] Grunt work, filming, etc. Family will help cook and work too.

I could help guys before the Friday shoot too. Might be good to offer a WW some practice time, lessons if needed, before hand.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Im in for whatever you need. Building, assisting our heroes and/or financial. Im only 20-25 miles away. Just let me know what you need!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I can donate my time and labor. I'd be proud to help out in any way I can. Feel free to PM me for my information.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
I have some gear of you need it. Stands ect. Let me know if I can help!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts