1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
A lot of information in this article, but all of it is important...

Ring-Necked Pheasant ? Invasive Species or Valuable Gamebird? - The Bird Hunting Society
Excellent article. Some species that are non native to NJ are so much a part of the scene now that New Jerseyans are not generally aware of their non native character. We all like to catch blue channel catfish but they were native only west of the Appalachians. The red fox is a European import as is the brown trout and the carp. Wheat, rye, barley and oats are not native to the New World. From my point of view I would transplant any number of animals or plants that could be useful. Exterminate wild hogs? Heck, I'd stock them.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
hog problem? ever been in a Walmart on a weekend?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
if hogs are a problem then why do the want$$$ to hunt them? you think they would welcome hunters to kill as many as they want for free...
Many southern farmers do welcome hunters and with a little research and and some phone calls you could probably get permission for a DIY hunt in SC or GA relatively easily... the problem is getting them to appear in daylight. Sure you could go down and kill a few 40lbs pigglets but to kill a mature pig worth taking a picture with you need to do one of two things

1. The SC way of putting a feeder on a timer in the middle of the day and let them come to it for 2 months which eliminates DIY hunters since who has two months to hunt hogs and multiple feeders with timers to set out in a foreign state.

2. The GA way, using thermal imaging scopes on top of AR-10s and sneaking out into a field in the middle of the night during planing time. This is way out of the budget of most people (at about 10G for a gun set up like that) so getting a guide becomes cheaper again

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Many southern farmers do welcome hunters and with a little research and and some phone calls you could probably get permission for a DIY hunt in SC or GA relatively easily... the problem is getting them to appear in daylight. Sure you could go down and kill a few 40lbs pigglets but to kill a mature pig worth taking a picture with you need to do one of two things

1. The SC way of putting a feeder on a timer in the middle of the day and let them come to it for 2 months which eliminates DIY hunters since who has two months to hunt hogs and multiple feeders with timers to set out in a foreign state.

2. The GA way, using thermal imaging scopes on top of AR-10s and sneaking out into a field in the middle of the night during planing time. This is way out of the budget of most people (at about 10G for a gun set up like that) so getting a guide becomes cheaper again
Look around for guys with dogs, most are happy to take you out for a small fee. Even MORE productive at keeping the numbers in check, and a ton of fun to boot.[up]

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Hogs cause massive damage to agriculture. Not only eating the crops, but bulldozing the whole field! Pheasants are a low impact invasive, providing great sport and revenue to the state. Not to mention they are absolutely beautiful, especially the cock birds.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I have serious bow hunting friends around the country - all say "you don't want hogs"... Heck I really don't even want black bears (just a big black rat), but if we can bow hunt them I'll give it a go... Pheasants are not INVASIVE, and not native... They would be a welcome addition without impacting the environment. I do hear a few cackling in the spring, so some do holdover not sure if they are reproducing in the wild though...

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Thats the position of someone who just cares about shooting things, and doesn't give a hoot about conservation.
Visit the agricultural regions of South carolina. I lived in SC for a few years and witnessed first hand the damage they do to not only crops but also forests. The hoards of hogs would run highways that looked like a bulldozer had gone through the fields and woods destroying everything in their path. These animals have no predators other than humans on the east coast and if hunters didn't keep their numbers in check they would go the way of the snow goose and eat everything available to them. Oh and they are cable of surviving off just about any source of plant life including roots bark and seeds. They are horrible for the environment and even worse for farmers

·
Registered
946 Posts
Disagree...hogs are invasive , damage the environment & will eventually push out native species. Conservation only applies to native species...with some exceptions but hogs r not an exception
Wow. I'm surprised how misunderstood that was. I was referring to the same statement that bubblehead was replying to. In other words, anyone who would introduce hogs does not care about conservation, and only wants to shoot stuff.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
That article points to New York's pheasant program. No mention of New York's ten year program to reintroduce pheasants in certain areas and provide for habitat in the state, which is something New Jersey should be doing.
pennsy's 10 year program ends in 2017.from what i have been reading they seem to be thriving.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
That article points to New York's pheasant program. No mention of New York's ten year program to reintroduce pheasants in certain areas and provide for habitat in the state, which is something New Jersey should be doing.
Our state simply does not have anywhere near the open spaces needed to have a decent pheasant population. Pheasants are one of the precious few introduced species that do not out compete some or many natives for food and habitat. As such, they are wildly popular among hunters here in the states. Unlike many fish species that have been introduced into non native waters, pheasants have found a home here in parts of North America without damaging other species.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts