New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Pheasant hunting, I saw a bird ahead in a tree. It was an easy shot. Do you take it?

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Nope. I will try to get it to fly out and take it then. If I can't get it to fly, it's safe from me.

I saw a guy last week at Flatbrook shoot 1 pretty high up in a tree. It was right at the start time and maybe a minute or two before. Well he shot it, it fell and got stuck up in the tree. He couldn't get it down so the bird went to waste.[down]

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
I was also at the Flatbrook this past weekend. We saw one bird in the tree and we had a little 10 year old with us, we let him get that bird. As for us, we would always take them from trees. But after a while it just doesn't seem right. Like TJC, we try to get them to fly. A couple of weeks ago i was tossing ears of corn at one up in the tree. When he flew, I missed and watched him fly away. And that was fine with me. I also have a dog that loves to hunt. So by me shooting them in a tree takes away her fun. And i love watching her work more then shooting the bird.

·
Registered
50 Posts
While Pheasant hunting, I saw a bird ahead in a tree. It was an easy shot. Do you take it?
No.

Like TJC said, one guy did last week and the bird got caught up on a limb and wouldn't come down. Now what Sherlock?

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
scaring it out of the tree is usually my tactic for that situation...like ringneck said, if there is a young hunter around, well him/her take the bird. my first bird ever was in a tree but after i shot one in a tree, i decided not to do it again since it doesnt feel as rewarding to me...

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
ive shot birds where feathers came off but kept flying for about 60 yards..they can take a hit...depends on the shot size..i use 6 but ive seen some people shoot 7.5 shot and knock birds down.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I don't have a dog so yes I take them out of trees. Will, we try to get them to fly first, yes. However, if they don't we take them. However, this will be that last year of that. My pup will be ready for next year and all of my former practices go out the window.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
No you dont shoot birds in trees, just like you dont shoot squirrels in nests. In fat I used to belong to a club that if you shot a bird on the ground or in a tree you were kicked out..I dont have a dog and still would rather miss a bird than shoot one in a tree....It is all about your own ethics, at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself are you proud of your hunt ( kill or not)..

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Sounds like a good club you were in there Beaverkill. More should be like that.;)

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I passed on a bird in a tree on Thanksgiving at Whittingham. It was Immeiditly shot by someone else. As for me? I used to but not anymore it just don't feel right to me. On another note how many times have you had a bird shot out from under your dog by someone not hunting with you? For me it was five times once on the opener at Greenwood forest for Quail and 4 times at Whittingham on thanksgiving.
Tell me that don't bite![mad] this is my first year with my pup and his first point was stolen from me.[mad][mad] Last year I hunted with out a dog and never felt the need to steal a bird from someone.

Some people huh?
still it was good to see I was not the only one yelling at them:D:D

GhostBear

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
That's about when I walk over to the bird and shoot it before the other guys takes it. If he wants the bird so bad, he can eat my lead.
I did that once to a guy and he stood there with a real dumb look on his face. Priceless.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
ghostbear, where in whittingham were you hunting? i mostly hunt in the big parking lot by the ranger station...in the fields where they hold youth pheasant day..sometimes i hunt on wolfs corner...it was a madhouse..it was raining pellets for an hour...we drive green isuzu trooper..there is 3 of us the usually hunt with a weimaraner...if you see us, say hi..

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Try to make it fly...throw something....shoot the branch he is on etc. A pheasant not flying, unless it is a cripple, is unsportsman like.

Sometimes a mortally wounded pheasant will sit on a branch till he expires then just fall off. You will know this is the case if all your efforts to make him fly fail.

·
Registered
50 Posts
To those who allow a young hunter to shoot a sitting pheasant in a tree, first bird or not, I ask this, what type of ethics are you teaching the young beginning hunter?

If it's okay when with Dad, then it's okay later on?

Ya don't shoot a pheasant sitting in a tree. Ya want meat, go to Shop-Rite and buy a damn chicken!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
What kind of dog do you have and how old?
I have a Vizsla and she is 3 months. Check out my thread in the small game forum title chronicles of a hunting dog.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts