New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when do bucks start dropping horns? does it make sense to purchase a antlered deer tag? i have a week off in mid jan a would like to head into the woods. What happens if i shoot a buck without antlers i mean it may be difficult to tell the two apart depending on the distance. i never hunted this time of year so and info is helpful. had to make tag soup with my ny tags so a doe for the freezer is good enuff for me.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
A buck that dropped its antlers is considered anterless. If you have your doe permit already you can't get your buck tag now. If you didn't get it yet then you can purchase both.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
i beieve anything shot without horns is considered a doe. call it meat for the freezer. but if your luck is like mine, a 12 pointer will show up, and you wont have a tag. get the tag. p.s. horns can start falling any time now.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
by mid jan 99.9 % of the bucks will have lost there antlers.. never bought antlered deer tag except for the 6 day just need a shotgun permit... antlerless deer only means, it can be a buck but the antlers have to be 3in or less to be considered antlerless

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys i haven't purchased the 2012 license yet. if i purchase the antlered buck tag now is it good for the six day season as well? i hear ya fishguy that would be my luck as well. thanks deerslyr i always thought deer in our region lost em later good info.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Well six day is over now, the permits arent like the license, your permit will expire after this permit season, so come end of january or in feb. Depending in your zone. Where as your 2012 license will expire Dec 31 2012...

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
And last year I had bucks carrying into march...but most young bucks dropped all the same week in feb. And most mature bucks I had on cam dropped end of january

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm debating as well. I have my doe and buck tags for permit shotgun. I would need to buy my 2012 non resident license ($135)) to hunt again come Jan 7th when my zone opens. I have no intention of taking any more does, especially since it may be what would have been a nice buck that dropped his horns. (As was the case with the anterless buck I dropped at the end of six day). I already gave new jersey $135 twice this year, (non resident bow and firearm), and don't know if I want to spend that money again on a very low percentage hunt because now there are even less horns running around. (Yes I know it will be good for next year). Maybe I'll just wing it, if I feel like getting out in a few weeks I'll buy it. Good luck to those who do go out. I wouldn't be shooting any does though, there was four months to do that and you may be shooting next years slammer buck who has shed already!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
no lotta bucks are shot late jan has alot todo with stress agreed last year in cedar grove stress free enviornment we saw 6 bucks in march near the police academy

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Antlered buck permits for PERMIT SHOTGUN SEASON must be purchased by midnight Dec 14th 2011 according to the digest page 17. This means that if you purchase a permit for permit shotgun today you MAY NOT get a buck stub.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
by mid jan 99.9 % of the bucks will have lost there antlers..
Definitely NOT true. I spend lots of time looking for shed antlers every year, and in Central Jersey MANY bucks do not drop or "cast" their antlers before end of February. Some even into March. There is no definite set timeframe for when a buck will shed. They are all different.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Most years I would agree the older bucks hold longer with sightings into February and a few in March. The lack of acorns may be taking its toll as the bucks I'm seeing lost a lot of weight and that may cause an earlier drop. Had a 1/2 rack 8 on the cam yesterday. Nice 4 points for a half rack. Weird year for weather & crops.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.