New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well no deer taged today the first day of permit bow. I did see a total of 5 deer, One of them I saw this morning when it was still to drak to tell what it is. The other 4 DOEs came into my ground blind area and I shoot over the back of a DOE...

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Mystic, Do you prefer hunting from a ground blind? I am not great in my climber and I prefer to hunt from stands that I build. there may come a time where I lose my spot that I hunt from built stands. I was just wondering how effective it is compared to tree stand hunting.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
yea Kris the wind would be a big factor. basicly if the wind is wrong you might as well forget the blind idea.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Scrubby, there is nothing wrong with hunting on the ground.

Like everyone mentioned, you have to be more careful with wind directions from the ground, but even from a stand you should be.

The thermals are carrying scent down in the afternoons anyway and most treestands arent high enough to get your scent above a deer that is downwind of you in a dropping thermal. I think Ian and Paul (nightstalker) are the only two people high enough to get the scent above the deer.

Sitting on the ground is great for the following reasons.

You dont have to lug in a stand.

You dont have to make noise and waste time climbing a tree.

You dont have to get sweaty climbing a tree.

You can move your location quickly if the wind changes, or if you see concentrated movement in another area.

You can call much easier, breaking brush, and pounding the ground. Even when you just use doe bleats, if you rustle some leaves, it sounds that much more realistic.

You can hunt spots where a treestand cant go. Thats usually where the big bucks are.

Im sure there are tons of other benefits to sitting on the ground, but how about the single best reason. Its SO much more exciting from the ground.

You dont need to buy any fancy blinds either, get a short stool/seat, some camo netting, and find a blowdown that is in a good location. Pile up some sticks to "fill in" the blowdown, and hang the netting on the inside of the blind. Clear out the ground debris (leaves, sticks, etc) (you can even call while you are cleaning out the blind, grunt a few times and it sounds like a buck making a scrape. Sit down and get ready to hunt. How easy is that? Too easy.

To counteract the wind, use terrain as a key. Sides of hills will usually keep your scent rising in the morning and sinking in the afternoon. Narrow benches are great in the morning, especially if you can get on the bench above the one you are hunting. Then its almost like being in a stand. Keeping obstacles such as a river or steep ravine at your back (if the wind is in your face) is useful in keeping deer from getting downwind of you. Other things to remember are that its easier to call a whitetail up hill, rather than down hill. They also dont normally expect danger from above them on a hillside, so hunting from the top to the bottom in the morning is a good way to beat their nose. They are busy looking down the hill for danger while you sneak up on them from above. There are tons of tricks to fooling wary whitetails from the ground. You just have to start experimenting with what works for you. Thats what its all about. Learning something new everytime you go out there.
[up]

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Matt I have a stand that I use thst is like you describe. There is a small creek in a bottome of a small gully I have a tree seat placed on the side of a hill with a blind to break up my outline in back of me. I have seen and shot alot of deer in this location in the past ecspecialy in th AM but this year for some reason its been slow lately . I saw a lot of deer early in the season but know all I see is sign a buch of rubs all around.Oh and how bad is my bow?????

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wind was blowing right at them and they didn't even spook. I use fox pee as a cover scent and it worked for me...I can't wait till MOnday to do it again from the ground.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Its SO much more exciting from the ground
If that's the case, I'll be staying in my treestand :D LOL. If hunting gets any more exciting for me, I'll wind up have a heart attack from the excitement.

David

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
been seeing alot of deer, there are spikes,y-bucks,6,7,8,10 pointers in my area. The 7 pointer is old, that much I can tell by looking at the deer.Come on "RUT"

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Sounds like you have a few nice bucks in your area Mystic.[up]

So far during permit bow I have seen the following bucks; A big spike with a busted side, a six pointer on several occasions. A ten fighting what looked to be an eight. A smaller eight pointer (not small, just smaller);). A small ten pt, and a buck that looked to be a ten with a lot of mass. Thats better than what I see during most permit bow seasons, add in all the bucks I saw during early season bow, and its been an awesome year.

Hopefully a few more of us can connect this upcoming week![up][up]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts