New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The perch should be running any day now in Lake Hopatcong. I love this time of year catching perch by the bucket full then the crappies soon after.
Anyone fish this time of year on Lake Hopatcong?

[up]

·
11,226 Posts
Perch are good tasting fish too! I don't fish Hopatcong but I like catching some perch in some of the smaller ponds I fish! Early in the season the perch stay active even in the colder waters! Fun little fish!

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JerseyF, you should try smoking them its much easier. no filleting .

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim you should come up when they are running. Its a really fun day.there are days when we catch females up to a pound and a half.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and JerseyF I only keep fish (when fishing for the frying pan) that are big enoungh to get a nice size fillet.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Where are the good areas in northern jersey? I don't have a boat.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mpemt24 there alot of places you don't need a boat.On lake Hopatcong there are dozens and dozens of coves,small and large that hold lots of fish. a great place to start would be fishing Bradys bridge.I catch lots of crappie there. also have caught Hybrids, pickerel, Walleye. Its a good spot if you dont have a boat.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drag, I went and checked it out yesterday and the perch arent running just yet.maybe by Saturday they might be its supposed to be pretty warm the next few days so by saturday they might be moving up. let me see what I have going on at home. I might grab the step sons and meet you there.Do you know where Chabons is?

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chabons is just around the corner from Bradys.The bridge at chabons is where the perch go up through.If you want we can meet there.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Okay. First thing in the morning? What should I bring? I caught perch using minnows and plain/basic silver/gold spinners.

I don't have a trout stamp. My 8 year old nephew might tag along (maybe).

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you know where Dowds is? its next to the Jefferson house. we could meet there at say 7:00. I ususlly catch them on fatheads,worms,and a small jig called a Rufus JR.Absoulutly bring your nephew he will have a ball if the perch are running. What I will do is check Thursday and Friday to see if they started and let you know if its worth it or not.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok Drag sounds good I'll email you. Anyone else interested in meeting saturday for some fishing?

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to let you guys know I checked today and the perch are not in yet . I will keep you posted.I'm like a kid at Christmas lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts