New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I think, not sure if you have a muzzleloading license from Penna your covered. Then you could buy a license, its worth a phone call.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
If you are asking whether your out of state hunter education certificate qualifies you to buy a rifle permit the answer is yes? If you are asking if your out of state MZ permit qualifies you to buy a rifle license the answer is yes.

If you asking if you can hunt without having to pay for a rifle hunting license like every other Jersey resident MZ hunter the answer is NO.

JC

Rifle Permit
A valid rifle permit is required for coyote, deer, squirrel and woodchuck hunting with a muzzleloading rifle; raccoon and opossum hunting with a .22 caliber rifle; and for dispatching trapped animals other than muskrat with a .22 caliber rifle. Initial rifle permit applicants must be at least 10 years old and have successfully completed a rifle Hunter Education course. Rifle permits for 10 to 17 years olds will be valid only for muzzleloaders. No persons under 18 years old may hunt with centerfire or rimfire rifles. Rifle permits are valid from July 1 - June 30. A current rifle permit is required to purchase muzzloader deer permits.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/hntlicfe.htm

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A friend who lives in PA wants to hunt in NJ with his flintlock during our MZ season. What does he need besides a non-resident license and a MZ zone permit. Only thing in question I can think of is a NJ rifle permit. Being PA residents don't need an extra permit to hunt with a rifle i wasn't sure if he needed one or how he would go about it if he does. We have to take classes, would he have to take the classes?

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
MikeC,

Yes he definitely needs one, (a rifle permit).

However, I have never taken a NJ rifle related class and I have a rifle permit. I was able to get one simply by providing proof of a NY hunters safety class and NY hunting license.

JC

From the NJDEP page for Non-Resident hunters:
For use of a muzzleloading rifle, a NJ Rifle Permit is required in addition to the basic hunting license. The Rifle Permit is required to purchase and use a muzzleloader deer season permit.
http://www.accessmvs.com/dep/fgw/nonrshnt.htm

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
this has been a point i have been making for years. the fact that new jersey has a rifle permit is so laughable.to me its just another dumb money maker along with the woodcock stamp and varmit permit and that you need for 1 month out of the year... we should demand the state does away with it. teach the rifle basics in the general hunting course and be done with it. i can sum the rifle course up with a 30 second speech. i mean as a shotgun hunter you can use a scoped rifle barrel. i hate having to buy another permit or forget to pick it up every year because it expires at a wierd time of the year compared to the rest of the pile of my permits. [wallmad] just charge me 10$ more for my muzzy license or add 5$ to the shotgun and 5$ to the muzzy if they need the money but stop making me carry 20 different pieces of paper.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JC...Thanks again for the number. I call on my friends behalf.

I agree Liquidorange, it's nothing more than another money making scheme. Pretty embarassing when you have to tell an out of state hunter who has used rifles his whole life he needs a "rifle permit" in NJ to hunt with a flintlock.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
If he has a PA hunting licence that should be all he needs to get a nj non licence.
As I stated previously...you are correct...that is all he needs to get a MZ license. However, just purchasing an MZ license does not mean he can legally hunt with a MZ in NJ.

In order for anyone...resident, or non-resident...to hunt with an MZ in NJ they MUST also qualify for, and purchase, a rifle permit.

JC

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
Thats the question, how do you qualify for a rifle permit, let's say I've hunted NY state for 30 years, I never had to take the sfety course cause I'm an old fart...do I need to take the NJ rifle course or will my NY license be enough?

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Thats the question, how do you qualify for a rifle permit, let's say I've hunted NY state for 30 years, I never had to take the sfety course cause I'm an old fart...do I need to take the NJ rifle course or will my NY license be enough?
GVS,

I already answered that question at the start of this thread. If folks would simply read the thread before commenting on it...then the same questions wouldn't continuously appear to be confusing every new reader...

JC

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
What if you dont have the safety course?
GVS,

Ahhh..Lets see...Hmmm...If you can't qualify for any NJ deer hunting licenses, let alone the requisite NJ MZ hunting license...Does it really matter whether or not you can purchase a rifle license if you can't even legally hunt deer in the state in the first place[confused]

As to the actually pertinent questions...once again...read the thread and you will find all of the answers.

JC

In order for anyone...resident, or non-resident...to hunt with an MZ in NJ they MUST also qualify for, and purchase, a rifle permit.

Quote:
Thanks JC you answered my question.

No problem...

I should add, just because that worked for me does not mean things could not have changed. Therefore, I would just recommend calling the number below and confirming.

JC

From the NJDEP page for Non-Resident hunters:

Quote:
For further information by phone call 908-637-4125

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.