New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just out shooting for the 1st time since the deer season ended. I've decided that the traditional peep sight Im using has to go. It never bothered me before, but now it always seems like the string obstructs my vision.

So, what would you guys suggest for a change? I was on the Cabelas website and it looks like there are some new types of peeps that would elminate the string problem. Or, should I consider a sight tube? I was always afraid a tube would make the bow noisy.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Duck there are so many options out there now it would be hard to list them all.

You could take a look at the "No-peep". It attaches near your sight and forces you to line it up.

There is another one called the "hindsight"...same principle.

Also you could try different peeps such as the shurz-a-peep, or the red-hawk. They are good peep sights that dont have the string obstruct your vision.

Also you could try a kisser button or a "nose nock". Serve a nocking point to your string so it touches your nose and "whallah" you have a consistant anchor and will never lose shooting opportunities because you cant see through your peep, either due to low light, or a twisted string.

Finally you could go with the rubber tubing, it doesnt normally make a bow louder, but quite the contrary, it acts as a silencer. The only thing is, you have to keep an eye on their condition, as you dont want it to break at an inoportune moment.

Hope this helps---Matt:)

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
No-peep is the best. I hate having to look through a peep in hunting conditions. No-peep is the answer. It also lets you know when you are gripping too tight.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
Why use a peep as all? I never have and never will. One more thing to make seeing the deer in fading light difficult. As long as you practice and maintain proper anchor (kisser button) you can easily do away with the peep.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I use the tubing to keep the peep aligned properly. I agree that no peep works well for most hunting but if you do any 3D or other target shooting where your shooting out to and past 50 yards, I think the peep makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Is there any other alternative to no peep. I am left eye dominant and shoot a right handed bow. The peep is the only thing that helps be shoot straight. I can't afford a new one right now. Just wondering.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love my timberline no peep. Teaches you to keep a consistant achor point, and gives you and more hunting time due to more light.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys, i'll check the 'No Peep' out.

Is there any other alternative to no peep. I am left eye dominant and shoot a right handed bow
I have the same problem. I actually shut my left eye when I shoot. I know they say keep both eyes open, but I shoot terrible if I do.

Last year, I concentrated keeping my left eye shut while waterfowl (gun) hunting. My success really increased. It was suprising how much better I shot.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
my compound has pins but no peep I lay the string on the side of my nose and put the pin on then bamm bulls eye... Now I use only Traditional bows.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
I use a large kisser and touch the string to my nose. I shoot to 50 with no issues whatsoever. Try it. I think you be surprised how well you can shoot provided you use a kisser to maintain anchor.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
hey. try this, i KNOW what im talking about. TRUST ME.

i do probably more shooting than everyone here and learn alot from various shooters who know alot through experience and i work in an archery proshop and see various people with various problems and i have learned what the best thing to do is.

you should put a peep in your bow...any peep will do..i dont like the rubber tube ones but they work...the smaller the hole, the tighter groups you will shoot...dont worry about lighting problem because you are fully capable of shooting with 2 eyes opened and there is plenty of light when you do so.

its simple. of course you are gonna shoot bad when you first try to shoot with 2 eyes open. but go ahead and shoot bad. who cares. witin a dozen shots or so you will have the hang of it and then you are set...once you get it you dont lose it. if you are right handed and you see double pins. use the left one. just the opposite if you are left handed. focus on the animal, not the pin.

3 points of anchor...FIRST kisser button, SECOND nose on string. THIRD peep sight... **BE SURE YOUR PIN IN CENTER OF THE PEEP ... OR IF NOT CENTERED THEN AT LEAST CONSISTANT. if you shoot with the pin touching the bottom of the peep then do so all the time.. or the top......all the time. need to be consistant. i like it centered (keeps it simple)
do the 3 anchor points in THAT order every time.

Keep slight bend in left elbow. most people shoot with elbow locked. its best to shoot with a bent arm

KEY THING: when you squeeze the release trigger, keep pressure on the string. this wont really effect your shot until about 40+ yards. when you release the string your release hand should go straight backwards as if to knock out the person standing too close. also, when shooting longer ranges, its best to keep a STRAIGHT imaginary line with the arrow and your elbow (the elbow on the arm your release is connected to) this means to squeeze your shoulder blades together. its uncomfortable at first but your shot WILL improve.

good luck out there, i hope these tips will help you and any others that can use it.[up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Outlaw, I will have to try that. Maybe I shouldn't have changed my peep size last year. I was shooting consistant, but hard to see through the peep, so I got a bigger peep. Now I am still in the kill zone, but not as tight of a group. I guess I have to keep practicing. I will try your recommendations.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Outlaw is right on most of his points, but Ive helped tons of shooters myself, and everybody has a different "perfect way". There is no set way that is right or wrong.

If you wear glasses, you will encounter many problems (especially with peeps). If you do wear glasses and are suffering problems, feel free to shoot me an email. I've helped countless shooters overcome problems.

Having a smaller peep aperture is wonderful in controlled situations such as target shooting, but I would never recommend it for hunting. Though shooting with two eyes open does allow more light, the small peep will restrict alot of the light to your dominant eye. This is not good, your shooting will certainly suffer in low light conditions. Besides, how many shots are you going to take at animals that are over 40 yards? I practice out to 70-80yds A LOT and Im VERY accurate...but I would never shoot at a living animal over 40yds. Too much can happen beyond that.

As I noted before, a nose anchor (a nock made of serving thread tied on to consistantly contact your nose at full draw) can be enough to ensure consistancy. Also a kisser button, as a few of us have mentioned, is another good option. You can even use those two in conjunction with each other. (though if your form is well-repeated it is unnecessary)

As far as dominant eye goes, its best to shoot with your dominant eye. But some archers have chosen to go against the grain and shoot with their weaker eye. You can overcome it by either closing the dominant eye, wearing a patch, or learning to recognize the set of pins that "count". (You will see two sets of pins, a faint pair and a more distinct pair more towards the riser) The faint pair is the pair lined up with your non-dominant eye, and should be used.

I recommend learning to shoot with both eyes open, but if it is not comfortable, or you have a lot of trouble distinguishing the two sets of pins, by all means close one eye. There are top shooters that close one eye, so you arent alone.

If you still want to shoot with both eyes open and its hindering you. Try closing one eye, aligning the pins, and then opening the other eye.

No matter what way you choose, practice that way and only that way. Shooting a bow is all about consistancy. You could have the "worst" form in the world, but if you repeated it everytime you would shoot very well.

Remember, the most perfect form is only the one you can comfortably repeat consistantly. We arent all made from a cookie cutter, so there is no perfect set-up or form. Some people like kissers, others like peeps. Some people prefer to align a rounded pin guard, others align each pin....It all depends upon the individual.

Good luck getting it all figured out, and you'd better hurry, bow season is rapidly approaching!:)

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
everything you say matty is VERY TRUE. nice work.

i just want to add that form is everything...my 2nd cousin is the best archer ive ever seen...his key was to shoot many many many arrows...only at a target 10 FEET away. each night he went in his basement and shot numerous arrows at a target 10 feet away..not aiming at anything but the block of foam. the key was to practice his FORM. each time he made sure he did everything exactly the same. he could do it with his eyes closed. if you have the time to do this...give it a try.[up]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts