New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an info on Deer hunting there. Tom at Simon Peter told me theres alot of waterfowl hunting in there.
I was going to give it a try with the bow.
Anyone have any good or bad experiences there??

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I was under the impression you couldnt hunt deer in there. Am I wrong?[confused]

Its just off of 206 at the junction with 15 right?

I trout fished it during the spring, caught a few nice trout in there, and saw some deer prints. Saw some signs that said something about no hunting...didnt really look them over. Seems pretty small for deer hunting anyway. Snap a twig in one end, and they will funnel out the other![confused]

:D

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I have hunted this place a lot over the last 6-7 years. It is zone 5 for deer and zone 2 for turkeys.

I like to discribe the location as just west of Newton or between Newton & Swartswood.

One area has a huge field that is in a valley between two hills. When I first started hunting there there was corn & alfalfa on this field, no more. It is still sort of a textbook deer area. However, I have never seen a buck better than a spike there. That includes last month when a spike showed up as I was climbing down the tree to leave. There are plenty of does.

This huge field was mowed this year early. I never made it for the early goose season, but it should have been good. I intend to do some goose hunting there when goose season opens again.

I have also succesfully hunted turkeys in this area.

The area of the WMA that is right on the lake should be good for both ducks & geese. The lake is narrow and there is a house on the opposite side of the lake so hunting there requires caution not to rain pellets on the house.

Another area upstream of the lake has the Paulinskill River running through it. I never tried jump shooting there. I think it would be good. This section adjacent to the river is good for deer. I got a double in the January shotgun season once. Anywhere on this WMA is good for deer.

Another area of this WMA was only aquired bt DFW about 3-4 years ago. It used to be a farm where they breed dogs. Two houses from the previous owners are still there; there is a partially fenced in field; and a small pond. I have seen geese on the field and at the small pond only during turkey season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts