New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering how many here use the Patternmaster choke tubes. I just got in the Long Range for Remington. Shot Winns and Feds both 3" OO out of it. 30 yards the things is crazy with 14 out of 15 pellets in a 12X12 target. Move back to 40 and 50 and forget about it maybe three in the same size target.

I know it only takes one pellet but not what I was looking for. Am I looking for to much out of this choke? I sen just about the same thing with the stock chokes.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah my buddy and i have them and have same results.his gun shoots better with winn 3" 1 buck . He would get half the pellets in at 40 yrds. Hard to believe your supposed to get all the pellets in a 20 inch circle at 40 yrds. You have to try many loads as we did

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reply back from them

At our test range, I would expect Federal Premium 00 Buck 2 3/4" 9 & 12
pellet loads to shoot 100% patterns at 40 yards inside of 30" (all
pellets inside of 30"). With the Federal Premium 3" 15 pellet load we
see 97-99% patterns at 40 yards inside of 30"

I would expect the Winchester 00 Buck to shoot nearly as well.

Our test shotguns are put in a shooting vise so there is no human
contact/error when aiming and wind speed is not a factor. There are many
things to consider when shooting in wind, aiming, etc..., to narrow down
why you aren't seeing the same pattern that we do at our test range.

You may want to check the box on the Federal buckshot. Their buckshot
is available with or without their flight control shotcup and it will
say/show this on the box. Flight control shotcups should NEVER be used
in our tubes that separate the shot from the shotcup. This is one reason
you may be experiencing poor results....

Patternmaster.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I bought mine a few years ago but if I remember correctly they make one thats designed for 3 inch loads and one for 3 1/2 loads. I should have bought the 3 1/2 but for some reason purchased the 3 inch instead. I havent done extensive pattern testing on it with my berreta, but I did shoot 3 1/2 inch 1 buck out of it a few weeks ago and it shot real well out to 40 yards. At 50 yards it opened up quite a bit, so that may be because I'm using 3 1/2 inch rounds in the 3 inch model. All in all the results were still very good and I will be using it this season.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I know it only takes one pellet
That would be one lucky pellet. Energy tables tell a different story.

Remember that buckshot's lethality is best experienced when massive trauma is induced. The more pellets on target, the more wound trauma. ONE (1) individual 00-buck pellet weighs only 52 grs., and its energy equates to approx. 147 ft./lbs. when fired from a 3" shell at approx. 1100+ fps. and measured at the muzzle. (The standard 40 gr. .22 LR has approx. 135 ft./lbs. of energy at the muzzle as a simple comparison!) It's the combined effect of all 15 pellets of 00-buck on target that is most effective (15 x 147 = 2,205 ft./lbs. of muzzle energy.) So, the maximum range you can place most of your pellets on target is where you should limit your range to.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand all that Setters. I was beating some of the members to the punch. I have read way to many times it only takes one pellet. Thats why I have been shooting this gun so much that past two weeks to find out 1) what brand/load shoots the best 2) what choke shoots the best 3 ) what is the best range.

I just dont understand how I can read posts where guys say they have a good group at 60 yards. I personally would not shoot this gun over 40.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I just dont understand how I can read posts where guys say they have a good group at 60 yards.
I think you have to spend time and effort finding the right combination of payload, shot size and choke over a period of extensive range testing at various distances. I would surmise every shotgun has a sweet spot for something.

Wonder how a 2 ga. would throw buckshot?

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
:D I killed a deer last winter at 70 yds with the Patternmaster in my Rem 1187 SM with 3" 000.
Went down on the spot. You MUST USE FEDERAL PREMIUM buckshot as the prior post from Patternmaster says. Any other buckshot that does not have a plastic shot cup around the pellets or the use of a "flitecontrol" wad will negate the benefit of the choke. Don't waste your time with any ammo other than FEDERAL VITAL SHOK PREMIUM buckshot (w/o the flitecontrol wad). By the way, I also killed a Turkey stone dead at 40 yds. with the same choke and pound the hell out of geese with BB and BBB steel shot. Once again, the key is the PLASTIC SHOT CUP that surrounds the pellets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.