New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range this morning with my brother to test our new tubes with buck shot. I used my 870 3", and he has a 870 3.5". We used Remington 00 buck. At 50 yards He was getting almost identical patterns with his modified choke as the pattern master. I used a full choke and got just a slightly tighter group with the pattern master. I was expecting way tighter groups. For $90 bucks a piece not sure if these tubes are worth keeping.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
somethings wrong somewheres i did that same test with my 870 there was a big differance i dont know what to say but something dont sound right you should see a big differance between 40-80 yrds i would contect patternmasters custermer service they have ther own web site give them a call let us know what they say

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I used my 870 3", and he has a 870 3.5". We used Remington 00 buck. At 50 yards He was getting almost identical patterns with his modified choke as the pattern master. I used a full choke and got just a slightly tighter group with the pattern master.
Your comparing 2 different sizes of shotshells and 2 different guns.

i would contect patternmasters custermer service they have ther own web site give them a call let us know what they say
They claim 100% pellets at 40 yds in a 20" circle. Try it and see if that's what your getting first.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you guys have the long range or the extended range? We bought the long range, it's the only one cabela's sells.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your comparing 2 different sizes of shotshells and 2 different guns.
Yes and both of us could barely tell a difference with the pattern master tubes or the other tubes. We both have the pattern master in our guns.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Don't give up on the Patternmaster yet. Try different brands of ammo, too. I particualy like the Federal Premium copper plated in 3" and 3.5" out of my 870 Super Mag.. I get 13-14 pellets in a 20" circle @ 40 yds. with the 3.5" Fed. loads.. I limit my shots with 00 to 50 yds. and in, lethality drops significantly beyond that.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Call Patternmaster, they'll work with you...and if not, take the chokes back and refund your money. I worked with them on my SBE2, unfortunately didn't work out for me, but PM was great to work with.

My 11-87 shoots unreal with a PM...best buckshot gun I have.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The first mistake you made is using Remington buckshot. Patternmaster's claims are with Federal buckshot. The difference is that Remington does not use a shot sleeve in their buckshot and Federal does. The Patternmaster choke fuctions by delaying the plastic shot sleeve so the shot can exit the barrel undisturbed. There are a few other aftermarket chokes that use the same technology (Kick's, Rhino). I have a Patternmaster choke tube on my Rem. 1187 SM and Beretta A390. It is the ONLY choke I use for Buckshot, Steel Shot, and Turkey loads. I dropped a Turkey last year at 40 yds in the woods. It didn't move an inch. Also, make sure you get the appropriate size. I have a 3.5 inch model for the Rem. and the standard size for the Beretta.
You cannot use any type of load that employs special or no shot sleeve (like flitecontrol). These things just interfere or do not allow the Pattermaster to fuction properly. Go to the Patternmaster website and learn about the choke some more.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! The package the tube came in says "not recommended for use with ammunition using flight control wad cups" I thought that was what the federal buckshot has?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
The difference is that Remington does not use a shot sleeve in their buckshot and Federal does.
In their case, true...since they were likely shooting 3" shells, but the Remington 3.5" I believe does have the studded shot cup.

I do agree, my PM and Remington loves the Federal shots likely due to the studded shot cups.

·
Registered
236 Posts
but the Remington 3.5" I believe does have the studded shot cup.
Remington only makes a standard lead 3.5 inch Buckshot and it does not have the plastic protective sleeve around the shot.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
It is listed with an asterik on their site as:

Utilizes Remington Power-Piston One-Piece Wad
Maybe not the same thing as the Federal shotcup? But it is unique in all the Remington buckshots, as it is the only one that has that Power-Piston One-Piece Wad.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After all the feed back about Federal buck shot I went back to the range today with a box of Federal 3" 00. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!! This site is great! Thank you to the guys who told me to try the Federal's. Here are a few pics.

pattern master remington 00 50 yds.

pattern master federal 00 50yds.

full choke federal 00 50yds.

pattern master federal 00 80yds.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts