New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove by Paterson Rod and it's closed. The windows are all papered up and the signs gone. Anybody know what happened? RR

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Instead of Paterson rod and gun jump on 17 North and head across the border to Davis sport shop in NY state.The place is like a mini Cabelas and besides they are good friends of mine.Wayne Jr really knows his bows.[up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Paterson Rod and Gun was run be a bunch of crooks. When they were in Hawthorne, my father's electrical company rewired their shooting ranges and stiffed them on the bill. They then filed for bankrupcy (SP) and closed up shop. They reopend under the New Paterson Rod and Gun Club, Inc. Therefore for father couldn't go after them. I also know first hand of people that left their guns there to sell and when they went to check on the progress, they were boarded up. That place went down hill after the original brothers sold the place to Jim. Sorry, just my rant on them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought my Hoyt from Davis. Ricky was there when I bought it. A friend of mine knows Wayne senior, They call my friend Dinosaur Bob. It's a great place.

B

·
0 Posts
Davis is a small Cableas, nice story, but when I buy a new bow I trust Robert at Targeteers. Paterson Rod & Gun sucks, I would only go there when I was bored and want to shoot my off duty weapon.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
BHC,Paterson Rod &Gun stiffed me out of a prize when I won their deer contest when they were in Hawthorne.[mad][down]

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
In reply to the post by mpemt24 about Paterson Rod & Gun:
The original PR&G store on Broadway in Paterson was awesome...perhaps I say that because I was only a kid when it was there. It was family owned by a family I won't mention. The store moved to Hawthorne in the 1970's. I purchased several rifles and fishing rods there with good results. Some of these family people were still involved with the business then.

The so called "New Paterson Rod & Gun"was not connected with the original owners. The only connection with the old store was some of the mounts on the wall. This store did have an excellent indoor pistol range that was way cheaper than shooting at Ray's

The last I was at Bates In North Haledon one of the original PR&G people worked there. Also there I a guy that works at Davis that I think is related to the original PR&G.

This type of business can go downhill fast with an ownership change. A good example of that is Greenwood Lake Sport Center. The old small store on the lake was great Then it was purchased by some shmuck named Leo and moved to the old AW root beer stand. I bought a muzzleloader off this Leo charecter. There was a warranty problem with it and I brought it back. He sat on it for several months then his wife finally sent it back to the manufacturer. The manufacturer would not ship it back to him because he never paid the original invoice. I had to deal directly with the manufacturer to get the weapon back. Leo finally lost his FFL a few years ago because he left a kid in charge if the store including the firearms inventory when an ATF inspector showed up.

A long as I am now ragging on vendors let me comment on Targeteers. They suck. Especially the old hag at the counter who once accused me of leaving without paying for a hunting license.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts