New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as some of you guys know I left 3 guns to be worked on at Paterson Gunsmithing atleast on November 9. They told me they would be done around November 20th. I called them on November 27th and asked if they were done. They told me only one was done. I informed them that I needed my slug gun for the upcoming deer season and he told me I could pick it up. I wnet there hoping he did atleast the 1st thing I really wanted done. The scope remounted and bore sighted. It wasn't even touched. He told me it would be done at the end of 6 day. They called me the Sunday after 6 day and said all my guns were done. I get there and they never touched the scope. The one thing I wanted done. I told them just get it done as they already screwed up my hunting season. They call me today and tell me it is done but it will cost me an extra $45 because of what I wanted them to do. What the ....? I am heading down there now to settle this thing. I'll be dipped in S#*& if I pay that $45. A friggin month past when they said it would be ready. I'll let you guys now how it goes. In any case my opinion is that they are no good. Last time I use them.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
I would let them know you intend to give your review on NJH..maybe that will help them swallow that 45 bucks.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on it. With over 900 members with most in North Jersey and a small number of gunsmiths. Word will get around. Plus numerous members of law enforment here. It could hurt him.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just got back. I paid the extra money. Most was for parts and the rest for labor. They wouldn't budge. My father-in-law stopped there one day and asked about getting a scope mounted and they told him it would take about 3 months. He never went there. So guys be worned. Unlees your a Paterson cop or a Passiac COunty Seriff's Officer don't expect any work to be done in a timely manner. My business will go else where.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
I guess that guy gets enough business from the cops he doesnt need other business. At least it looks that way by the way the treats non law enforcement customers.

G

·
Im sorry to hear that Mike, he never gave me any problems, but I do agree the uniform helps there, not saying its right a paying customer is a paying customer no matter what. From what I know, he is the only true gunsmith in the local area. If you need a scope to be mounted in the future, talk to nontypical he does that and has his own archery shop in Garfeild

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a Square B bracket on my gun and it would seem to get loose from time to time. My gun was tapped already but I didn't have the know how on how to mount it. The gun was also having feeding problems and had rust on it. He did good work on all the guns he did.
This is the beef I had. I went in there well before deer season was to start. November 9th to be exact. He told me the guns would be done on Novemeber 20th. I gave him until the 27th to call him and he told me only 1 gun was ready and that the others wouldn't be done until the end of the 6 day season. If he had been straight with me and told me it would take longer I would have dealt with the bracket and had the work done at the end of the season. Although I haven't test any of the work yet so far it seems he has done good work. I may have been a little upset earlier. Maybe he is skilled at what he does, but just doesn't have good business sense.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I called that guy about some work I need done on one of my guns. I am in the process of rebuilding it and an aftermarket part I purchased needs some fitting. If I had acces to a milling machine I would do it myself. This guy was downright nasty. He wouldn't accept the work unless I re-assembled the gun. It may be some law that he has to work on the whole gun, but he was nasty about it. He will never get any business from me.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I looked at the cirriculum for several gun smithing schools. Including the well known Chatsworth Comunity Collage in Ca. I am think about going into business as a gunsmith when I retire. It turns out I could teach most of the courses. The majority of the classes are how to operate a milling machine and a lathe. I worked as a machinist for many years before I graduated to being an engineer. I would just need some training on specific weapons espexially gas operated semi autos.

If I had access to a machine shop I could do a lot of stuff now. Mounting a scope for example is not as simple as you would think if done properly. To do it right you need to ream the scope rings so that the scope tube mounts precisly paralell to the bore. Most places that sell a gun and mount the scope just bolt on the mounts and bore sight it. This is fine for ranges less than 200 yards. For longer ranges you would have to monkey with the windage more if the rings are not reamed paralell.

·
Registered
612 Posts

I went Trinidad State school of gunsmithing in CO. It was over 20 years ago mind you but at the time there were only 4 schools in the country. I worked at Navy arms and a couple of different shops after I got out but found working a lathe and mill in a machice shop better money. I have since went back to school and I'm in entirely different field but I'm still very much a gun head. As I said it was 20 years ago but if you have any questions about the different schools. I visited a bunch of them. I'd be happy to BS with you about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts