New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20131018_150350_804.jpg

Hello,

First post on here. Decided I'd get into the blog world of fishing and just wanted to share my first experience fishing the Passaic River in my life. I was out today shore fishing for probably two hours. First cast ever on the passaic and I kid you not a pike slams my lipless crank. I learned real fast that pike and small lipless cranks results in snapped line, especially with 10 lb floro. Re-ty on a Chartreuse Spinnerbait with 20 lb Power Pro, and I land that small pike in the picture. I keep seeing nice schools of minnows jumping out of the water as I cast my spinnerbait. I then saw a big bass, or atleast a huge bucket mouth came flat out of the water eating these fry. Overall my experience was awesome, and I am really interested in fishing the heck out of this part of the river I was at. I have a spinnerbait(which I left at home like a moron) that is white blades,white skirt,white head that I think will just be awesome. What is everyone's favorite spinnerbait colors for the passaic? sorry if I am going against the rules asking a question like that, I figured it was okay cause I am not asking for a fishing spot.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
like its top f-ing secreat. just asking. if we all shared some of favorite fishing spots. it be a nicer world. whats the big deal

·
Banned
2,221 Posts
like its top f-ing secreat. just asking. if we all shared some of favorite fishing spots. it be a nicer world. whats the big deal
I leanred the hard way. I told some people about some carp spots that hold 20-30 pounders, only to show up one day and there was garbage all over the place. Never again for me!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I guess I have landed over 300 pike a year in the Passaic from my kayak in the past 8 years.....that's 300 a year ! And when people ask me where I was fishing, I tell them from Livingston down to Garfield, which is the truth. When you put in 50 days a year and about 100,000 casts a year and you finally find a stretch that produces, you kind of want to keep it to yourself. How many pike you think I would catch if I stated right where I was catching 25 a day ??? I can bet you that the next time I fished that spot, I would be lucky to even catch one pike. Great catch on the pike and my favorite color spinner bait (which is all I use) is a white and chartruse mix in 1/2 oz. Good luck !!! Danny V

11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I have landed over 300 pike a year in the Passaic from my kayak in the past 8 years.....that's 300 a year ! And when people ask me where I was fishing, I tell them from Livingston down to Garfield, which is the truth. When you put in 50 days a year and about 100,000 casts a year and you finally find a stretch that produces, you kind of want to keep it to yourself. How many pike you think I would catch if I stated right where I was catching 25 a day ??? I can bet you that the next time I fished that spot, I would be lucky to even catch one pike. Great catch on the pike and my favorite color spinner bait (which is all I use) is a white and chartruse mix in 1/2 oz. Good luck !!! Danny V
Thanks! Nice Striper ,ITs Almost That TIme Of The Year...So Pumped

·
Registered
831 Posts
You can use any spinner bait as long as it white

11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went back today and just missed my personal best pike. Did manage to get another one the size of the one in the picture, and another one blew up on my bait and just missed it. But the big one I lost was a really shitty learning experience. He got in a really heavy cover laydown about a foot off the bank. I could of went in and grabbed him. He was on the surface with my line all tangled in the mess of sticks, tried to power him in and spinnerbait came back w/o the pike. Stupid mistake I won't make again, going back tomorrow, this time I am going to go with a med-heavy pole with fast action. I was using one with medium action because I love it for casting spinnerbaits a mile. Hoping the fast action will help a little more with power on the big ones. I figured if my pole didn't bend so much like today, then most likely I wouldn't of missed the fish because I could of prevented him from getting into the laydown. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Make sure to use heavy enough line and pole set up. I have seen too many pike break off with guys using light gear. You need something heavy enough to pull them from the weeds and trees in the river. Last thing you want is to have the line break and have the fish swim off with the spinner bait still in his mouth. I can't tell you how many I have caught with another spinner bait or lure in it's mouth.

11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[E=msgdan;2303184]Make sure to use heavy enough line and pole set up. I have seen too many pike break off with guys using light gear. You need something heavy enough to pull them from the weeds and trees in the river. Last thing you want is to have the line break and have the fish swim off with the spinner bait still in his mouth. I can't tell you how many I have caught with another spinner bait or lure in it's mouth.[/QUOTE]

Thank GoD I GoT My SpinnerBait Back Atleast

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
braid will do nothing if a pike gets a tooth on it. they are everywhere on Passaic so spots schmots. since the internet spots like the Passaic are not near what they used to be. took me years to find spots and baits and the internet makes it too easily available to get information. no one wants to do the work anymore. Passaic will never be what it was and will never be because way too many people know about it from the internet. untapped gem exposed[wallmad]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts