New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading Outlaws post about taxidermy and him going to school( good luck by the way Outlaw). And it got me thinking. I've always wanted to learn taxidermy but never acted apon it. with working full time I can't go full time, I don't think quiting my job to go to taxidermy school would go over to well with the wife. I really want to learn just to do as a hobby really for myself, family, and friends. Are there any schools out there that offer part time night classes? I've been looking but I have not found anything part time. Thanks guys .

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
If you are just going to do it for yourself and friends, just try it.

My friend taught himself years ago, and was a pretty great taxidermist with a large customer base. He says its very easy. Another guy I know just taught himself a year ago, and is running a very lucrative/successful business out in the midwest now.

The supplies, form, eyes, etc, are all very cheap. Also, you can purchase extra hides from a buthcer to practice on. Sending them out for tanning is the most expensive part, unless you learn to do that too.

Get a beginner video, and learn what is needed, and then try it. What do you have to lose? If you are kind of artistic, you may become a great taxidermist. The only thing is, I dont think you will want to go into business for it. People are very demanding, and expect mounts right away, and want discounts left and right, because they knew your uncles cousins, girlfriends former room-mate. It will ruin your time to hunt and fish. My friend left it for a regular job, just does it on the side for friends now.

But not to deter you, good luck, and have fun. Its a great hobby to save yourself money.[up]

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matty,
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about the video but I'm more of a hands on guy. Your right when you say what do I have to lose. If I mess up its just a learning expereince. and I just want to do it part time for freinds and family and mostly myself. Do you know of any good videos/books out there?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Dragthor, you probably do need a license in NJ, I dont even know. But Im certain you can do it for yourself without needing one, as long as you arent making money.;)

I will email you some links to the best supply catalogs later. They usually carry videos.

Dan Chase, probably has the best catalog, and supplies around. If I dont email you soon enough, look up Chase Taxidermy supplies.

They have some of the most realistic forms on the market, and my friend uses them exclusively now. Great muscle definition, and easy set eyes..etc.

He also carries videos, and possibly books, on each type of animal, what to do, and what not to do.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Matt [up]

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matty thanks [up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
You're welcome, it wasnt a problem.

Just remember me for a free test mount when you get started!;)

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL no problem Matt[up]

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Growing up as a kid reading Fur-Fish-Game the was always a taxidermy school advertising at home schooling, Always regreted taking the class, but at 12 yrs old funds were not readily acessible. Heck I ordered muskrat musk or urine and when it came my parents threw it out asking me if I knew what I was buy, I said yes of course, I needed it for my trapline.

Just looked it up
Northwestern School of Taxidermy. FFG copy 1972

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i tried all those catalogs and the best on i found for beginers was WASCO.com. there is a list of places on taxidermy.net that might help you..also if you scroll to the bottom there is taxidermy schools link. thats where i found the one i will be attending in 2 weeks good luck. if you have any questions i would be glad to answer once i get out of school to help you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts