New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 21 ft boat that i trailer and keep in my driveway. i can get it in but its a pain in the a$#. im looking for an easier way. maybe a power dolly to do it by hand? or a trailer hitch on front of my truck so i can see where im going instead of backing it in. does anyone have any tricks ot ideas? what about a polaris 500 with a front hitch....

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
just need to drive it more often . doesnt hurt to just gets some cones and practice in a big parking lot. more you use it the easier it will get

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah but i dont want to spend more time parking it than fishing on it. im looking for easier

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
does anyone have any tricks ot ideas?
Did you let your husband try to park it? Don't want to stereotype or say you can't do it because you're a woman, but men are normally better at driving than women especially when it comes to parking or towing [up]

·
Banned
82 Posts
I got me a class A cdl, if i was you id do two things, 1.watch utube vids on backin, and 2. get u 4 orange cones and head over to a big homedepot/wallmart lot and practice. Get ur confidence and skills up and an ull back that critter in a shoebox:D

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Practice practice practice.

Keep your hand at 6o'clock on the steering wheel, move your hand the way you want the back of the trailer to go.

Don't over-correct

Try to keep the truck and trailer in-line(except for sharp turns.

Don't be afraid to straighten out and start over.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
you need to be able to back it up on the ramp loading and unloading, sometimes in crazy traffic. dedicate a few hours before the season and practice

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I have the same problem with my atv trailer after i get it in the back yard Iuse a hand dolly to put it in the grarge

·
Registered
640 Posts
I had a 20ft. car trailer that I would tow my jeep around with and would have to park it along the side of my house with very little room between the house and the trees that line the property....just keep practicing. After awhile you will find it to be a breeze.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If its paved u can get a jack dolly. They go around tires u pump it up lifts tires up off ground and on a dolly then you can push it around all over. My uncle stores boats in his heated shop over winter. He can jam and shuffle a bunch of boats in that way. Makes moving boats and cars super easy

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
you need to be able to back it up on the ramp loading and unloading, sometimes in crazy traffic. dedicate a few hours before the season and practice
This was my first thought. How do you deal with that? I have watched people get so frustrated at a launch that they went home.

Practice is the key to getting good at anything. Give yourself a chance and it will become second nature.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Comon, just practice, that's all it takes. Some people put a tall bicycle type flag on each backcorner of the trailer to see it better. This helps a lot with low boats that dissapear for a few seconds when you back down an incline. Keep practicing.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Go SLOW. Also your gonna look silly at the ramp with a dolly or a front hitch.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts