1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crossbow curb likely blunted

New game panelist would block ruling

Friday, July 17, 2009 By John Hayes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Wednesday's confirmation of a new member of the Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners provides near certainty that broad use of crossbows will remain legal in the state this year.

Ralph A. Martone, of New Castle, Lawrence County, was sworn in yesterday as the eighth member of the board, filling a vacancy that opened in January when H. Daniel Hill III of Erie resigned to work for U.S. Rep. Kathy Dahlkemper, D-Erie.

In an interview yesterday, Martone said he supports broad inclusion of the crossbow during Pennsylvania hunting seasons.

Martone's "yes" vote for crossbows would result in a 4-4 tie among board members, who narrowly voted last week, with Martone's seat vacant, to give preliminary approval to regulatory changes that would restrict use of the sporting arm. That vote was not binding for the September archery deer season, when crossbows are still permitted.

A special meeting to confirm crossbow inclusion could be held before the next commission meeting Oct. 5-6.

Under board rules, no action is taken on a tie vote. Should that occur as a result of Martone's vote, a proposal to restrict crossbow usage during archery deer and other seasons would be quashed, and full inclusion in archery seasons would be granted as currently published in the 2009-10 Hunting and Trapping Digest.

Martone said he remained silent on specific issues, including the crossbow, during his state Senate confirmation meetings. He informed other board members of his intent to support crossbow inclusion last night.

"I listened carefully to both sides, went to recent meetings in Harrisburg, read transcripts of the commission's decisions and met with as many people on both sides of the issue as I could," said Martone. "At this point, I am in favor of full inclusion of crossbows. I have done my homework, talking with professionals in the Game Commission and related conservation organizations within the state, and I'm convinced this is not a resource issue. The resource will not be affected by the addition of crossbows."

A longtime archer, Martone said impact of the crossbow harvest will be monitored.

"If the numbers prove there's reason for concern, we'll go back and review the inclusion of crossbows, not the six-week archery season," he said.

Martone is a physics and science teacher at the Shenango Area School District, where he leads classes on white-tailed deer biology, deer management practices and social and recreational influences of deer on society, as well as college prep physics. He is staff adviser for the Shenango High School Conservation Club.

Martone has written outdoors articles for the New Castle News and Pennsylvania Game News, volunteers as a hunter-trapper education adviser and recently served on a citizen's advisory committee for Wildlife Management Unit 1A. A member of several outdoors groups, he holds a bachelor's degree in physics from Westminster College and an associate's degree in business administration from Penn State.

Board members serve with no salary. His term expires Oct. 14, 2014.

On other issues, Martone said he supports the state's deer management plan and the restoration of a reproducing pheasant population, and is a booster for hunter and trapper youth programs.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09198/984535-358.stm

·
Registered
928 Posts
Martone is a physics and science teacher at the Shenango Area School District, where he leads classes on white-tailed deer biology, deer management practices and social and recreational influences of deer on society, as well as college prep physics. He is staff adviser for the Shenango High School Conservation Club.
[up]

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Can't we joke here at all? Besides...why should you get your questions answered...Our posts were deleted from the Other side

·
Registered
928 Posts
i wonder if the pa house bill will be voted on or withdrawn.

·
Registered
928 Posts
i'm down in cape may until monday. i have a problem with the radar on my boat. mechanic is looking at it. i've come to the conclusion that the word boat is an anacronym:

Bring
Over
Another
Thousand

[eek]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts