New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know how everyone feels about scouting your property or walking through bedding areas during the hunting season. My parcel's been real slow lately and I'm trying to figure out why. How much do you think it will hurt the deer movement? I think it hurts the movement tremendously.

B

·
0 Posts
I would never ever scout and walk thru the bedding area this time of the year, get yourself a photo map of the property with that you will see the lay out of the property, and see where the deer maybe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me specify a little further. I don't scout much during the season and NEVER walk through bedding areas. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would. They MUST think it's not going to hurt the natural movement or something. I hear guys complaining about not seeing deer but they're usually the same guys who beat the hell out of their property. Why don't these guys get it?

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I scout in Feb March and April...then again in early September. After that I stay out unless I am hunting it.

B

·
0 Posts
another good way to scout is from your treestand while hunting, thats how I found my currect spot, kept watching the deer go into this one area

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I am fortunate to occasionally have access to some large private tracts of lightly hunted land in NY. Many times I hunt them, it may be my first time stepping foot on the property.

If I am looking to fill my doe tags I will simply still hunt the property. Not only can I cover alot of ground, I also find that still hunting is the most enjoyable form of hunting for me.

Since there is enough land available to me that I don't need to worry about "burning out" a particular area I am free to hunt as I please.

The best part about hunting in this manner is being able to see first hand how my presence in an area on one day effects the deers activity the next. In some cases I may still hunt some areas on 4 or 5 consecutive days if I feel the land still has good potential.

I can tell you from experience, I notice very little effect on the deers natural movements after only one visit through an area. In most cases I will find deer in almost exactly the same spots,and in the same numbers, if I return to an area on the second day.

However, after the second day and each day there after I will notice a big effect on deer sightings and movements.

The point of this story being, deer do not seem to change their natural rythms unless they are repeatedly disrupted. There are simply too many random stimuli in the woods for a deer to respond to any single one of them each time. It takes repeated disruptions to truelly alter their day to day activities.

It is a simple matter of natural selection. If a deer changed its natural behavior every time it was disturbed by an outside force, it would not be able to concentrate on its simplest biological needs.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Turdy don't don't don't go walking through their bedroom right now. Bite the bullet and wait till end of season, and I mean right after the end of season look for rubs, scrapes and runs. Next year you will have a better idea on how to hunt the area. Things don't change from one year to the next, unless the land use changes. Right now hunt the DOES with the rut going into full swing, that is were you going to find the bucks.
As far as being slow, the weather is not helping any. They are ready for winter and 65 and up on the temperature puts a real strain on a deer. Right now the rut and movement is left for the cooler part of the day which is the night. Good Luck

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I usually scout during the summer, June - August, by going once every other/third week. That way, I don't disturb the animals in the area too much. I will be looking at scouting more in the March - May timeframe this year so I'm not dying of heat like I've done in the summer.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts