New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
friend of mine bought the mossberg o/u and it blew the choke tube out of it, they gave him the money for the gun he promptly went and bought a browning, i own 3 browning doubels and an ithaca, 0 complaints barring the price tag on the brownings but they are great guns that hold value and dont wear out just my 2 cents "buy once cry once"

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought the stoeger condor in 20 ga. for my son, it is a nice lite gun but it will misfire using Remington ammo and the safety has to be manually pulled back when the gun is opened. I have been looking at the CZ Redhead for my daughter.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I bought the stoeger condor in 20 ga. for my son, it is a nice lite gun but it will misfire using Remington ammo and the safety has to be manually pulled back when the gun is opened. I have been looking at the CZ Redhead for my daughter.
I have a CZ Redhead 12GA....I am quite satisfied with it. I bought it at Davis Sport a few years ago at substantially less than the MSRP.

The only problem I have with it is not really a problem, but a question. The literature that comes with it says you can shoot steel shot through an IC or Mod choke. I have always thought you could not shoot steel shot through a double barrel shotgun.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Citori, love it. Pricier than your ideas but advice was given to me to save the extra $$ and wait. They were right.
browning has a sales statement about the citori: "it wears in, not out."

i bought my plain, "hunting" model citori sometime in the early 80's. except for ducks, it has been my go-to gun for all these years. can't even guess how many shells through it. and, the top lever is still wearing "in." my 2 cents. brian.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I have always thought you could not shoot steel shot through a double barrel shotgun.
On modern doubles you can shoot steel safely. For "older" doubles with fixed chokes you should use a "steel-shot alternative" like tungsten-iron, tungsten-matrix or bismuth. Shooting steel out of the older doubles will sometimes spring the soft-soldered barrel ribs off and/or separate the barrels!

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Look around a lot and price and handle all and as many models that are available. When you are spending that much money make sure the gun fits you properly. You do get what you pay for but you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for one and you can find a nice used double for a reasonable price. Don't be averse to buying a used or older O/U. There are a lot of good values out there if you want the gun to be used as an upland gun. (By this I mean you can live with an older double and its fixed chokes since you'll probably be using lead shot.)

·
Registered
10,660 Posts
Buy American and get a Ruger Red Lable! [up] I have a 20ga and just got a 28ga, love them both. Also have a Citori White Lightning and it's a great shooter, but it's made in Japan. Another drawback on the Browning is that the rib on it was dented from normal travel in the truck while in a gun sock. Not sure if they use softer steel or what. Get a Ruger and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Buy American and get a Ruger Red Lable!
If you want one, you better hurry to buy one. The Ruger factory is mum on the subject but they seem have dropped the Red Label from their 2012 catalog. Other forums/sites have spelled and discussed its demise recently. (Supposedly they sold less than a 1,000 units last year?) The problem with the RRL has been a cost similar to a B-shotgun (Beretta or Browning Citori) but it lacked the quality, durability and refinement of the two B's. And the RRL never had the resale value of either B-shotgun.

Rumor has it a new Red Label may be in the design works. Only time will tell. Bill Ruger was the proponent behind the Red Label. (He was always a shotgun lover.) But Bill is gone now, so who picks up the ball with any passion? Companies stay in business by turning a profit. And after the debacle and failure of Ruger's Gold Label SxS, it remains to be seen if Ruger will enter back into the shotgun market, particularly in this present economy. In an age where Doomsday gamers, paintballers and mall-ninjas are the next future gun owners, my bet is Ruger will bank on tooling and selling their plastic-stocked, blacked-out gas-piston AR rifle or modern-design cheap-to-produce bolt-action centerfire rifles over development of a new double shotgun. Just my 2-cents.

2012 catalog: https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/Ruger_Firearms.pdf

·
Banned
1,071 Posts
Stoeger! I Have the 20 gauge O/U and that is my main pheasant gun. It's an awesome gun and the price is nice too. I've never had a single problem with it and I've had it for 7 or 8 years and over 1000 shells through it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.