New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For any of you that love Jerky but don't have a dehydrator. I created this recipe from scratch. This recipe is for about 5 lbs. of meat :

Prep: 15-20 min. Cook: 5-6 hours

Ingredients:
Marinade
1 Quart of Yoshida (teriyaki) sauce: Comes in 1/2 gal at costco (If meat is not covered at end, add more)
2 tbsp red chili flakes
1 tbsp ground black pepper
4 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup hot sauce (I like franks). Add more if you want spicier

~ 5 Pounds of venison cut into strips about 1/4 inch thick. (if you have more venison just add more teriyaki)

Directions:
Mix marinade in bowl or ziploc bag, then add cut venison strips. Cover bowl in plastic wrap then let sit in your fridge for 3 days. Stir once a day. After three days, heat oven to 175. If you have any sort of metal rack (like a cookie cooling rack), place on top of large baking sheets. Place marinated strips evenly on rack. If you do not have a rack, place flat on a baking sheet (helps with clean up if you cover sheet in foil). Flip over strips ~every hour. Should take 5-6 hours depending on set up/thickness of meat. You just have to keep checking. Meat should be dry, but not brittle, and dark red. Upon removal from oven, sprinkle Kosher salt onto jerky.

This jerky can hold for about 2 weeks in the open. Can probably hold longer in the fridge.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Sound's good.!1/4" is what I do dries to 1/8".Adding msg it'll last longer but you'll probably eat it all before then.lol Yup Always kosher salt,I add 1/2 a cup ea ofwhite an brown sugar and 1 cup of good red wine.No higher than 160 4 to 5 hrs.......http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/s/articles/jerky1.htm

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
When I was out in Ohio hunting last weekly buddy used his cabelas jerky shooter and made some awesome jerky usin ground venison. It was excellent

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I've never had it long enough to find out.
I know right?lol If you were to make bigger batch's,vacuum seal store at room temp just like in the stores, to keep the air from molding it.

Reactions: MorrisBuck

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I have never used smoke flavor, but may try it at some point.
Smokers are fun,but a whole nother ball game controlling the heat,got a shed ? fine If not you can use liquid smoke if you can find it at your grocery.Fun thing about making jerky trial and error,I recommend 1 lb of meat in this case.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Glad you shared this, a customer of mine gave me some jerky the other day and the best way to describe it was spicy teriyaki . I wasn't sure if he made it or had it made but it was awesome.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Thanks for sharing!!

I was always hesitant to try it in the oven. Ive only had it from a dehydrator or smoker. Goose jerky is slammin too

1 - 20 of 22 Posts