New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am making snack sticks with a kit. they are curing in the oven now. most of them have been dripping fat down into my catch pan, but a few are blown up like balloons with the fat still inside. should i prick them with a toothpick at the bottom so that the extra fat can drain off? all the extra fat that hasn't drained is spreading the casing away from the meat

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well, i lanced them so the fat could drain. seemed the right thing to do. they are cooling now.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's interesting. i was wondering if i could have used a lot less fat since it was just rendering and dripping off anyway. it was my first time trying these, and the recipe for the kit i got said to use an 80% game / 20% fat mix, so I used 8# of venison and 2# of pork fat.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
What temp are you cooking at? You should have the oven on the lowest setting and keep the door open all you are doing is cooking out all the fat and the sticks will be as dry as sawdust when you are done.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i used the oven at 170° (the lowest it would go) for the first 2 hours, and then turned it up to 190° (directions said between 180 and 200°) for another two hours or so until they reached internal temp of 156°. then i cooled them with water until they were back at 100° internal, and hung them up to dry and cool the rest of the way. they didn't shrink quite as much or get that wrinkly casing that i was expecting, but they taste pretty damn good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts