New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the kid out on first gun hunt today at Assipunk and 7:20 a guy walks past us at 25 yards , goes 25 more and sets up his stand!! Then to top it off 9 guys walk down the path within 5 yards of us, 1 stays 20 yards to the left, the other 40 yards to the right. Then the other 7 drive right at us 10 mins. later!! What would theses idiots do if a deer ran between us? Then as they leave, 1 wise [no swearing please] says shoot'em up! He is lucky he didn't get "shot up".

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yeah they drove down by me in the wharton on sat. They drove the swamp at 7:15am I was not far from the swamp and have been hunting there over 10yrs I know the deer are not in that part of the swamp that early, atleast not until shotgun. Sounded like a regular gun week drive but only shot that I heard. This is a great way to get a kid involved in hunting take em in the woods set up a drive and get em to shoot at running deer. The only good out of this is if they shoot a doe it should not go to waste because they are aloud to take it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
That's what happens when you hunt state land. The one club I was in did it all the time. They never drove are land but state/public land they drove it all the time with about 40 guy's.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Took the kid out on first gun hunt today at Assipunk and 7:20 a guy walks past us at 25 yards , goes 25 more and sets up his stand!! Then to top it off 9 guys walk down the path within 5 yards of us, 1 stays 20 yards to the left, the other 40 yards to the right. Then the other 7 drive right at us 10 mins. later!! What would theses idiots do if a deer ran between us? Then as they leave, 1 wise [no swearing please] says shoot'em up! He is lucky he didn't get "shot up".
How crowded was Assunpink today? I was hoping to get there on Wed. But maybe not if all the idiots have been through.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
This is why I call any form of NJ Gun hunting SLOBGUN HUNTING.

People just don't give any concideration to others. If you are on public land you have to deal with the "public" unfortunatly[down] I am fortunate to hunt private land, but I have had my fair share of public land hunts totally ruined on opening day with guys using AMBULANCE Sirens to drive Deer at 7:00am on opening day of SLOBgun season.

I know how it feels[down]

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The part that also gets you, is after taking a slow ride out, there were only a dozen or so cars, they couldn't find another spot.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Geez I have hunted Assunpink for over 25 years and have seen that same thing more times than I care to remember. It is sad and unfortunate and I would also love to see them outlaw drives on state land, had never thought of that but its a great idea.

My most memorable story was one of my first years deer hunting with a shotgun. I did tons of scouting and built a stand along the edge of a swamp amongst lots of great sign.
At daybreak 20 yards away a guy walks in and starts hammering up steps and somehow gets up in the tree. Sure enough 30 minutes later here comes a small buck and 2 does and he opens up as soon as they are in sight and they all just run right between us and away they went with me just watching as I didnt want to shoot at running deer.

I have had slugs fly over my head several times, hit by birdshot from a distance and will agree the place deserves every bit of its reputation for hunting and hunters.

Guess thats why after my 6 year hiatus from hunting I went scouting there this past sunday :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts