New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This months Outdoor Life has an article written by Andrew McKean, Editor. It's titled "Must haves".

Andrew and his friend Steve go Antelope hunting in October in Eastern Montana. His buddy Steve shoots an Antelope and Andy gives Steve his fanny pack containing, candybars, matches, flashlite, and down vest. (how big is this fanny pack)

Andy hikes out to the truck and drives the truck closer to Steve an the Antelope,hikes into them wearing a tshirt and a pack frame. He loads the Antelope out and because Steve has a bad back, he shoulders the load and heads toward the truck. Not waiting for Steve, or looking back.

Old Andy gets lost, drops the pack, panicks wanders around for awhile and then sat in a dry wash crying, asking for devine guidance. Finally he has a brainstorm, gathers his bearings in the dark and starts hiking, and in an hour he was at the truck.

Now here is the kick in the head. He went back the next morning to LOOK for Steve.

I sent him an email telling him what I thought.

What do you think

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the email I sent him.

Andrew McKean,
I'll be the first to admit that I have never hunted out west, I am an eastern guy.

But I have to say after reading your article I don't think I would want to hunt with
you, for a couple of reasons.

#1 You gave all your stuff to your buddy

#2 You admit that Steve has a bad back, but you don't stop to check on him. Suppose
he would have fallen, reinjured his back.

#3 You abandon Steve out there overnight, not knowing if he had fallen down. Sure he had
matches a candy bar and your down vest! You had a nice warm truck, supper, and bed.
Once you found the truck and no Steve, you should have organized a search party.

Now I am just a dumb easterner that hunts the pine barrens of NJ, and the mountains of
Pennsylvania. But when I get out of the truck to walk the woods, my GPS goes around my neck
and my compass is in my pocket (batteries die) I always mark the truck, if I am blood trailing a deer, or loose
my sense of direction in the dark. I can find my truck.

As for you abandoning your buddy. Stay in the office, your gonna kill someone.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
As an editor of Outdoor Life, shouldn't S.T.O.P. (Sit, think, observe plan) be engrained already? I know not everyone is scripted to handle these type of situations, but c'mon, partners stick together in the event something happens to one or the other!

Why do I have the feeling the editor has less knowledge than a boy scout?[eyeroll]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts