New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least some out there are using a little restraint and commonsense before just turning this weapon loose in there bow season ;)

Sunday, July 12, 2009

By John Hayes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Six months after legalizing the general use of crossbows in Pennsylvania, and two months before the first deer season when

they could be used, the Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners has placed new restrictions on use of crossbows for the

upcoming fall hunting seasons.

By a vote of 4-3 the board gave preliminary approval to regulatory changes that would limit use of the sporting arm, if

approved at a later meeting and published in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.

Under the proposal given preliminary approval Thursday, any hunter holding an archery license could use a crossbow during

the first two weeks of the statewide early archery deer season (Oct. 3-16), but not throughout the entire archery season.

Disabled hunters with a crossbow permit could use the horizontal bow through the early archery season and late archery

season. In the Wildlife Management Units surrounding Pittsburgh (2B) and Philadelphia (5C and 5D), crossbows would

continue to be legal throughout all deer seasons, including the early and late archery seasons. Only hunters with a disabled

person permit to use a crossbow could use it during the two-day archery bear season. Crossbows could be used by any hunter

with a muzzleloader license in both the October antlerless muzzleloader season (Oct. 17-24) and the late flintlock

muzzleloader season (Dec. 26-Jan. 9).

Changes in Game Commission board members, the lobbying of some sportsmen's groups and an internal debate over the

impact of an additional sporting arm on the archery harvest and overall white-tail population, resulted in wild flip-flops in

the evolving regulations this year. With one vacant seat remaining, the momentum favors retaining the crossbow's legal

status but monitoring its impact on archery seasons.

Voting in favor of the proposal to restrict the season were commissioners Ron Weaner (who proposed the restriction), Tom

Boop, David Schreffler and Jay Delaney. Voting against: commission president Greg Isabella and newly sworn-in members

David Putnam and Robert Schlemmer of Export.

United Bowhunters of Pennsylvania was among the groups lobbying for restrictions. A message on the group's Web site

states "UBP supports Commissioner Weaner's motion and the efforts of three of his fellow commissioners to put the science

back into the general-use crossbow decision."

Sam Rush, president of the Westmoreland Sportsman's League, said his members were "split down the middle" on the issue.

"If [commission board members] feel there's a need to control the herd, I think the crossbow is a good thing," he said.

"Anything that creates interest in the sport and gets people out is a good thing."

The state senate has not voted on Gov. Ed Rendell's nomination of Ralph Anthony Martone of New Castle to fill the

remaining vacant seat on the commission board. It's next quarterly meeting will be held Oct. 5-6 in Philadelphia.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Crossbows were legal for the whole archery season in bucks county PA this year and for many years now. It hasn't really effected my bowhunting at all. I tagged a 213 pound dressed buck on Oct. 30th and had six others right under the stand. I shot my buck with a vertical bow but this season I will be using my crossbow more. Weaner's proposal has a lot of people up in arms just as full inclusion had many others feeling the same way. I think it was good that they tested it in Bucks County and the crossbow season proved to be a good thing.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I think it was good that they tested it in Bucks County and the crossbow season proved to be a good thing.
what were the results of the tests?? increased harvests? increased particiation in the season?? any idea on the results?

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
There really wasn't an increase or decrease in harvest in bucks. It didn't really effect anything. Generally hard data shows that crossbows seasons increase archery licenses 4 percent on average.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
How do you indicate HOW it was harvested?
and could those who did shoot a buck than still go on to shoot a second buck and two or three more with a gun?

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
In PA you are only allowed to shoot one buck period. If you kill a buck during archery your done for the season unless you purchase doe permits at 6 dollars a pop

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Halfrack I'm sorry I don't understand your question bud?

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Halfrack if you were to harvest a buck with a crossbow it would have gone under your archery tag last season and you would have only been able to hunt doe provided that you purchased doe permits. Is that what you were asking bud?

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
In PA you are only allowed to shoot one buck period.
and that is one of the biggest reasons why any negitive impact to the bowseason will be kept to a minimum nowjust across the river........

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Jakesbeard you have a point 6 bucks in NJ per hunter is way too much. I agree. But it's my understanding that you will still only get 3 bucks tags for archery/crossbow season one for winter bow one for fall bow and one for extended bow with purchase of an additional buck stub.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Yes... 6 dollars a doe permit.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
I could go on and on but it sounds like our friends across the river have things figured out.
Yeah they don't give "Taxi Rides to bears they eat them and avoid some of the hastle we get to PAY for here.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Jakesbeard you have a point 6 bucks in NJ per hunter is way too much. I agree. But it's my understanding that you will still only get 3 bucks tags for archery/crossbow season one for winter bow one for fall bow and one for extended bow with purchase of an additional buck stub.
But thats 3 bucks for each gunner attracted to the bowseason by crossbows (That get tallied HERE as "Bow kills" additionaly the OUR BUCKS YOUR BUCKS arguement is reduced when each hunter gets but ONE no matter what he CHOSES to use as a harvest tool.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.