New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming back from doing some trout fishing on Friday saw two otter pups sitting on the side of the road. One ran into the bushes but this guy stuck around for awhile.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heres another one

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Nice, I never saw an otter on the Flatbrook. Water was kind of high for fishing on Friday, rained very hard Thursday night in Walpack.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea that otter was about 200 yards from the actual town of walpack down over the one lane bridge towards the cemetary. Water was high only caught 2 in about 2 hours or so, either way, first otter ive seen on the flatbrook as well.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Good find thanks for sharing; I've never seen one
in NJ only upstate NY.[up]

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
thats a rare sight in jersey
they are everywere down here. unless you have a otter permit in your hand.

nice pictures. it's head looks too big for the body.
i'm suprised it stayed for the photo shoot.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea he didnt seem to care at all. Just was milling around the side of the road for about 15 minutes. The other one was in the weeds down the bank barking and hissing ha.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I have posted this before.

When I saw an adult otter by the handicapped fishing acces in the fly fishing only streach I started thinking. Most fly fishermen catch & release. Some years ago you could stand in the high bank and see hundreds of fish in some the holes there. The last few times I was there I haven't seen any fish. There are two possibilities: 1> the otters are eating them all. 2> since they closed that bridge the stocking truck cannot get in there. It is likely a combination of both.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
cool! [up]

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
yeah they are trout eating machines!!!
Exactly! Just like coyotes and foxes know the pheasent truck is a dinner bell, otters know that when the trout truck comes rolling up, it suppertime. I watched the state stock trout in Indian Lake in Little Ferry (Bergen), and then watched the cormorants fly in and have a feast. Can't complain, it's nature taking advantage of a free meal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts