New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had does get spoked, but I have also had big bucks coming running on my drag trail. Just don't know if the does are ready yet.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Used it last night and it spooked two does, which in turn made the buck with them take off. Giving it another shot tonight.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I gargle with it just before I go into the woods:D:D

The best scent you can use is none at all. I don't use anything unless I know is the real Mckoy. If I see a dead buck on the road, I take the hock glands off. If I shoot a deer or anyone elses deer, I take the pure urine from the deer and I save it. Do you or anyone else know what you really buy at the sport shop[confused]
I have seen bucks, and I don't mean young ones here, MATURE BUCKS they will back off at anything strange in their surronding, being site or smell. Example last year I had a bachelor group of three mature deers, I could only hunt the spot on an East wind. On two different occasions I put out Molasses corn near the feeder which was 29 yards away from the only tree in the area they were using. Twice one of the big boys came out and smell that stuff and he back right down into the hole they were coming out from. I let the area cool off and the results is the picture in my photo files. Tony

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Jefe,

Strange thing happened to me, I put out 100 pounds of molasses corn and about 10 yards away 300 pounds of plain whole corn, took a week for the plain corn to be devoured and 2 weeks for the molasses corn.

I guess if its not natural it spooks them

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
My Girlfriend thinks that we spray, in her words" Doe Pee Pee" all over us before we go into the woods. As much as that might work, it would not be very tolerable

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I have been using it. Had my 8 yesterday come into it after I rattled. At this point use everything in your arsenal. Once peek breeding comes into play about Nov 19 Bucks will be attached to does. Right now there chasing and setting up dominance. Challenge them. Also Once peek breeding comes in ratteling won't work as well.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Never used them . This will be my first time ( in about an hour ) .

One question with a drag rag . I would think it would be better to wet the rag and start the drag from where you would want to shoot since the smell will die out as you drag .

Is this what I want to do or do I want to start away from my stand and work my way to my shooting lane and hang the rag ?

I always hunted feeding areas and never used lures so sorry if this is a stupid question :D

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
drag it as you cross a trail in your shooting lane. I start where I walk in to my area... then as I would like to have the DOE/DEER walk where I want him/her to be for a shot.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
The best way is to form a figure "8" with you stand being in the center. That way regardless where the buck starts trailing the scent it would lead to your stand. A deer may sometimes head backwards on a scent trail. Either way this will lead him where you want him.

BH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts