New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a 12x24 shed as my man cave. Got a price of $4500 with garage door and payments of $193 a month for 3 years. Call me dumb but $193 times 24 months is about $4500 so where did they come up with 3 years instead of 2? Is there some hidden interest I would be paying or something? Anyone have opinions of rent to own option?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
sounds like interest

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Don't seem right charging u extra 2400 on top of 4500 build ur own it's not hard

Reactions: MTH

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Don't seem right charging u extra 2400 on top of 4500 build ur own it's not hard
You cant build it yourself for 4500.00
Materials alone will cost you more.I priced it out and ended up buying the same shed.I don't know about financing.I purchased it outright.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I got a 10x20 awhile ago was just under 100 a month. Paid like 4 months and bought it out.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I remember options like... 2x3s versus 2x4s, OSB vs. plywood, 16inch spacing vs. 24, windows, doors etc. all make a difference in price.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I saw one of those steel vinyl coated 12 x 30 at Lowe's for like 3000 .You probably got to do the floor though . Lowe's also does those 2 year interest free deals .

To answer your question that sounds like heavy interest .

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Looking to buy a 12x24 shed as my man cave. Got a price of $4500 with garage door and payments of $193 a month for 3 years. Call me dumb but $193 times 24 months is about $4500 so where did they come up with 3 years instead of 2? Is there some hidden interest I would be paying or something? Anyone have opinions of rent to own option?
If you are financing it, the APR will be anywhere from 18% to 24.99% (Depending on the company). The 3 year term is factoring in the interest predicated on you making the minimum monthly payment every month. in NJ you cannot have a pre-penalty agreement, however, if you buy out of State, look out for that. If you are going to finance, I would inquire into a 12 months Same-As-Cash program or whatever they have available.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
not sure what your town code is but mine is anything over 10 x 10 requires a poured concrete pad or concrete tube footings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ricks lawn furniture in Pennsylvania has some pretty sick sheds for low prices. Google it and check it out.

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
Built a 12 X 16 shed this summer for just under $2500.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
When I said you cant do it for 4500 I guess I was referring to what I wanted.I i priced it for 12x24, garage door, 2 reg, doors,5 windows, barn roof with loft, 2x4 on 16in. Plywood.I guess you can build one for cheaper but I still dont understand how some of you guys are saying you can stay under 2000 on a 12x24 with a garage door unless your cutting some major corners.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Rent to own is a scam. They roll in finance charges but you cannot alter the shed in anyway until you own it! Build one or buy out right

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Honestly building a shed even with a gambrel roof with loft isn't hard at all and can be accomplished relatively inexpensively. And you don't need to cut corners. I did mine which is 12 X 16 using 16" OC 2x4 studs, 2x10 PT floor joists, 3/4" PT plywood floor, and sheethed in T111 for $1400 including permits and the "foundation" town made me put a 4" thick QP pad down before construction

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
If you guys can do a 12x24 with garage door completely finished for under 2000.00 I must be missing something.a usable garage door is at least 500.00 and you at least need another window and hard wear for a side door.that leaves maybe 1300.00 for all the material.

·
Registered
538 Posts
You can cut cost by not using a garage door. Why not make the door from 2x4 frame and same exterior as the rest of the shed. Trim it out to make it look different and hinge either side.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts