New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Barnett Wildcat C5 Crossbow.

It was on Cabelas for $339 plus shipping.The kit included quiver,3 or 4 arrows,and red dot scope.
Then i would have had to put it together. I went down to the outfitters place in Hamilton(the place that took over Harry's army & navy's guns and bows)They had just gotten that model and kit in and had put one together for display. I told them about Cabelas price. THEY AGREED TO MATCH IT!

So they matched Cabelas price,and it was already put together-no shipping costs! I would reccomend them for your archery needs,based on the way they matched the price. Also,the guy i spoke to was nice,and spent a good 20 or 30 minutes talking with me.

NOW,about the bow itself.Based On 33 reviews on Cabelas, it got 4.5 stars out of 5. Also,it shoots 320 FPS. Alot of other bows for this price shoot 265-280 FPS. Based on the reviews,and the velocity capability,i knew i was going to buy this bow. Also,it weighs about 5 LBS. I tried other bows that were 8LBS and higher.

One thing i dont like,is that it doesnt have an ANTI DRY FIRE mechanism,but other then that seems great. Once the weather cools down i will be out at the target range.

Just wanted some opinions,thanks

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
hello, contrats to the new purchase. The name of the store now is Cheyenne mountain outfitters.

My main opinion is just be real careful once you cock it and put the safety on...I have 2 crossbows that don't have the anti dryfire feature. Just make sure follow the owners manual and you should be good.

I belong the the UXBNJ and we have scheduled meets at Assunpink archery range. You and everybody is welcome to join us there. Check their website if you are interested in joining us.

the site is UXBNJ.COM

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Glad you gave a local shop a chance before going to Cabela's. The anti dry fire mechanisms aren't all they're cracked up to be. They're nice to have but I wouldn't say they're a need to have. My wife has an equinox that doesn't have one and it's not a problem. Like excalibur said, just follow the owners manual and you'll be fine.

Make sure you practice as much as you can leading up to the season. Sighting in takes less than 5 minutes but you will need longer than that to really master shooting it, especially if you are shooting off hand. I think a lot of people have the attitude that they don't have to practice as much as they do with a compound but you need to practice every bit as much if not more with the crossbow. Like any other shooting discipline, if you don't practice your skills will get rusty. Good luck with it and enjoy it.[up]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.