New Jersey Hunters banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Do the smokers maintain temp in the winter?
As a rule of thumb, yes. USUALLY, the better/more expensive the smoker, the more insulation is used in construction. If you keep them outside, you do notice that you need to up the thermostat slightly when it gets below 30 degrees or so. If you have an internal thermometer in the smoker, you can see what temperature the smoker is running at; some come equipped with one, or else you can buy one & install it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Do the smokers maintain temp in the winter?
once I mounted my Bradley in the garden tool shed, I never had a problem holding temps, even in the coldest weather. it's the wind that causes the temps to drop. the Bradley can reach 275 degrees and the hottest you will do sausages is 170 so the Bradley can easily make up for the cold temps. I've smoked pork shoulders for pulled pork at 220 when the weather was in the teens and had no problem holding temp. in a pinch you can wrap your smoker in a heavy blanket to cut the wind. I used to use a large cardboard box over the smoker in cold weather with no problems holding temp. most important is to keep the smoker door closed, no peeking. get yourself a wireless meat thermometer. using the Bradley with an auber controller is real easy. you program the controller, put the meat in and leave it until it's done. the wireless thermometer will tell you when the meat is done.

Reactions: almaink

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I bought a cheap Brinkmann electric smoker this summer and it's worked fine so far. I've done a pork tenderloin, a few racks of ribs and a mess of brown trout in it. As others have said get a good digital thermometer so you don't have to open the smoker up to check how the cooking is going. I also use a cardboard box to block the wind and maintain tempurature.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Check out the sausagemaker.com. They are in Buffalo NY, they sell all kinds of smokers and smoke generators. They also sell parts to build your own.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I had a Brinkman Electric for a couple of seasons then went with propane ..... Never looked back . I could compensate the coldest temps and have done Jerky in 10 deg temps. It's a Cabelas 48" which is basically a Weston Re-Badged .
I recently built a smoker that I utilized a turkey fryer burner as the heat source . Works awesome image.jpg SmokeHouse
image.jpg Jerky Sticks
image.jpg Summer Sausage

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Masterbuilt electric here. Works great. I'm no master smoker and I make some pretty good stuff with it. Its kind of dummy proof with the digital temp controls.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Bradley Smoker for sale. Literally used 1 time. 4 boxes of bisquits. $300. price is firm. Also has cover. Jim Beam edition.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Masterbuilt, I use a few different smokers, but for electric, the masterbuilt is a great bang for the buck. set it and relax
I thought mine was great also tilll the dam element lit up like a sparkler and burnt out, have to try and find a new element for it I do love it and it alway worked great untill that happend. I also had mine for about 3 years but would use it alot cant count how many times I used it

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I LOVE smoking foods now. My chickens have been coming out fantastic. You definitely have to brine them for at least a day and 2 preffered but the flavor is great!

·
Registered
200 Posts
My wife bought me a Masterbuilt from QVC and the element went after using
It three times. Read the reviews on line about Masterbuilt , you will not buy one.
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife bought me a Masterbuilt from QVC and the element went after using
It three times. Read the reviews on line about Masterbuilt , you will not buy one.
Dave
Came to post this same reply, I got three smokes out of mine and then dead. Very common problem with the MEI

41 - 60 of 62 Posts