New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone! I am a long time follower (addict) of the site and Drag helped me out so I can be an active member. I was wondering what you all thought of the Darton Maverick Extreme (I believe its last year's model) I am an avid bowhunter with my stone aged PSE and am ready for an upgrade and have an opportunity to pick up the Darton reasonably. Do you all think its work $300? If I do get it what would be the best arrows and broadheads? I am still shooting aluminum and have no idea whats good in carbons. Thanks a ton! sorry for the long post.

G

·
Datons are excellent bows, matter of fact alot of there ideas end up on your more expensive bows. How much is that bow worth I have no idea, as far as what arrows & broadheads to use you 1st need to know the draw weight that you have it set at, and have it set at what feels right to you, & draw length. There is a guy near me super nice guy, does work out of his house he's right in GARFIELD great with bows, scope mounting etc. I was there one day to pick up my arrows, he sells the DARTONS, let me tell you whatever one I picked up felt excellent in my hands

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This bow is the 40-50lb model and is maxed out. Currently I shoot 60+lbs and was a bit concerned that 50 was too light. The guy who is selling the bow reassures me that it is more than enough for deer especially in NJ. Any opinions on draw weight?

G

·
compound bows work best when they are maxed out, so if you take this bow leave it at 50LB. and yes 50 is enough for deer

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
50 pounds is enough for deer...you shouldn't have a problem. What you should do as BHC said is have a bow technician help you set the bow up. Datons are great bows though I dont know the first thing about the going price.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Ive never shot the Darton Maverick extreme, but it should be a good bow. Its kind of short on brace height, but its a decent axle to axle length should help make it a forgiving bow.

Plus the CPS cam or extreme cam, is a great cam design, its the original cam and a half/hybrid cam. You cant go wrong with a hybrid cam, because one cable slaves them together, while the other cable does the work that two used to do. Matching cam shapes on top and bottom coupled with different cable lobes, allows for level nocking travel as well as a bow that cant go out of "sync".

Also, as was mentioned, 50 pounds is enough for deer anywhere. But I wouldnt use mechanical broadheads with that weight. Cut on Contact or even chisel tip BH's is the way to go with anything under 60# with an avg draw length and medium weight arrows.;)

My recommendation before purchasing any bow of course, would be to shoot it first. You have to get a bow that feels good to you.

Best of luck!:)---Matt

FORGOT TO ADD:
If its a new bow for $300 its a good deal, the 2005 models go for a little over $500.

Also, as far as arrows and broadheads go. I would look at Beman ICS camo hunters...they are a good tough carbon arrow. For broadheads, you cant go wrong with NAP thunderheads or Magnus Stingers.

(I need to know more info to recommend arrow spine size and broadhead grain weight.)

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I have a Darton Maverick. it's the best I have owned. I have a 60 - 70Lbs 70 % let off. That bow is fast & flat shooting out to 35 yds w/ regular length arrows. I use it with 1 pin to 40 yds. & it's DEAD ON!
Where are you located? You can try mine if you want before you buy.

·
Registered
282 Posts
if iwere going to buy a new bow right now the only 3 bows i would consider are the: DARTON MAVERICK,HOYT V-TEK, and the MATHEWS SWITCHBACK . and possibly the mathews LX, even though the LX is not what the SWITCHBACK is.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey BobR-
I am from south jersey...live in Medford and work in Woodstown. Thanks for the offer but the guy let me take the bow to get set up and shoot before I buy it, so I am gonna try that. Its killing me being stuck and work and not being able to get to the bow shop. Thanks again

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey Bowhuntercop- you know Pete L??? I've known him for forever... I used to shoot 3d with him and his buds...As far as the Dartons go, you WILL NOT find a better bow for your money!!! I've been shooting them for 14 years, and they are IMO the smoothest and most accurate bows made.[up]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts