New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Slept in. Checked out the river yesterday and decided that it wasn't with the wear and tear on the boat and jet pump for a few woodies or dock ducks. I'll wait til the days are colder, the river is higher, and the traveling birds are in town.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Could not get out this morning, but was real surprised when the missus asked if I was going hunting at all. The 8 year old has been patiently waiting for weeks to do any kind of hunting and somehow he remembered (from three weeks ago) today was opening duck day! I'm new to ducks and at 1:00, was not really ready to just pick up and go. With a high energy kid, sitting for a few hours is not in the cards, so I figured he would get a kick out of a jumpshoot. About 5:00 I'm at Assunpink and find decent shoreline coverage with a small bunch of birds heading towards our spot. The little one is stealthily glassing the water and sky whispering super secret report of stumps that look like Minecraft characters[hihi]; the dog is sitting patiently and I'm like "Yeah this is gonna happen!":bounce:

Out of nowhere I hear the unmistakable sound of a transmission bottoming out on a steep drop and I see a sedan flying into the pull-off spot, parking right behind my truck. I go back to make my presence known and a father/son team is in a hurry getting out of the car. The teen takes his gear and starts heading right where were standing, kind of like he saw the same birds we did and was cutting in. I say "Seriously??...WTF?"[mad] The father hears me and tells his son to go around the point to the right (about 40 yards away[eyeroll]). They proceed to blow up a two man kayak (bright yellow) with a portable compressor!!![eek] It's just churning on and birds are diving or heading away. I go back to my son figuring it will be over in a few minutes and the next thing I see is they are paddling across the lake to the other side. So I figure, "OK, maybe they'll push birds my way (as if they haven't all left by now)" So they get to the other side and I have no idea what they did, but the next thing I know is there are more birds coming and they proceed to paddle the big yellow submarine right out to the birds. Of course, the birds dive and come up 50 yards away. What would any good hunter do? Exactly, chase them down![wallmad]

At this point I had enough and was plenty pissed, which was clear when I asked my son if he learned anything new today. "You need to keep really quiet when you're hunting, you need to keep Gracie (the dog) at heel so she doesn't scare the ducks and that if you see another hunter, go find another spot 'cause its rude" It's amazing how all the lemons turned into lemonade!:tears_of_joy:

Reactions: rooster81

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Lol chasing ruddy ducks

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Yes I enjoyed Googan Fest 2014 very much. We were out set up by 4am. The rest of the Commanders started showing up around 6:15. they proceeded to run thru the raft of birds and put about 40 birds in flight 20 minutes before shooting light. Then they hammered their steel posts with a steel hammer ting, ting, ting, for 15 minutes but not to worry their 5 mojos were in full effect and i must say it complimented there spread of 20 plus decoys quite well. Then 5 minutes after start time a pick up truck pulled up across the cove we were in. Out came Si and Phil and started wailing their Bill Collector calls for an hour only to stop to play the skin flute for a bit. Tons of birds in the air shots galore coming from every direction each time a bird decided to do a fly over 100 feet up. After laughing all morning and praying for 20 degree days we packed up and took a boat ride. After the land of misfit duck hunters left we motored back in and killed some mid day birds. Yesterday was a repeat only this time we had some D Bags roll in and start chasing birds and shooting them off the water. Cant wait till after the split.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Got to our spot early only to find that beavers literally ate our blind down to almost nothing. Three hours of work eaten by some hairy assholes haha. Should have limited but ended up with a woodie and gwt. We don't skybust, we are just that terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Went out with my neighbors.
I missed the chance at shots a few times. Getting into place and sunk my foot ankle deep into mud as three mallards flew over, and then was taking a piss a wood duck flew behind. Did manage to take a wood duck with the one shot I took. my neighbors did manage to take a bunch of shots, but did hit anything.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Went out shot a few then so busted ass duck commanders came out in a 10' no blind no deeks
started sky blasting birds we were working so we packed it in.
poor si and Phil will have to work there own birds. I got some hot buy mallards I can sell you cheap
so you can put some out. Or you can just use mine and cut me off like you did. Can't wait for some freezing temps

Reactions: rooster81
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.