New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is going out...I know a lot of guys on here get excited for the deer season, but for me it's rabbit season. I've been running my dogs hard the last few weeks and they have been running great and are on good shape. I won't shoot a rabbit this early in the season, but it will be nice to get out knowing I can!

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
Saturday is Youth Bow Day, so I will be taking my son out. But after that planning to get the beagle out for her first hunt. She does good on my property and has chased a few back around past me. She doesn't bark much, but just kind of whines and yelps once in a while. Looking forward to getting her out during next week!

·
Registered
470 Posts
rabbit and squirrel hunting are two of my favorite species to hunt. lots of action, shooting, and missing but always end up going home with something. ill be out opening day.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Been running the hounds all summer, every sunday first light ,for 3 hours. But, ill wait until it gets a little cooler before I shoot rabbits. Good luck, its a great past time, alot of fun.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Saturday is Youth Bow Day, so I will be taking my son out. But after that planning to get the beagle out for her first hunt. She does good on my property and has chased a few back around past me. She doesn't bark much, but just kind of whines and yelps once in a while. Looking forward to getting her out during next week!
Sounds like a young dog? If so she'll tongue more normally as she gets more confident

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I've never been rabbit hunting over hounds, would like to try it if anyone wouldn't mind a tag along I'd be greatful.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Shouldn't you wait till it gets colder? I've shot them late season but never in the heat of early season. I've got bigger things to fill the freezer with. Tough to choose between strippers and venison. legs aren't what they used to be.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it is too early to shoot them. I wait until after the first frost to kill them. I just like the whole getting up early loading the truck with the dogs. There is just something about opening day for me that it's like a holiday. Besides i don't know jersey as well as my so it gives me a chance to find some local places to hunt

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I'm thinking about trying out rabbit and squirrels this year for the first time.why do you guys suggest waiting till after frost to shoot them? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Some rabbits not all have worms this time of year. Some people don't mind them, I do
Dude its a myth. Cold weather doesn't kill worms inside the body but cooking the meat does.

If the inside of the rabbit got cold enough to kill worms it would also be dead

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
My girlfriend doesn't know it yet, but she and I are getting out for the squirrel opener, need to try out my new shotgun! May even bag a bunny or two if I can kick one up.

Reactions: diverrk
1 - 20 of 31 Posts