New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just like everyone else, there didn't seem to be much shooting. Like last year they didn't put any birds where we park, that that is ok, We like to work for our birds and not have a limit within 15 minutes. Well around 9 am we were walking along the river I was on the bank and standing on some logs that had been washed dow river causing a slight dam at rivers edge. Stood for a while and out from under comes a cockbird. 1 shot and dead. What followed has me pissed.
I retreived the bird and here people behind me on the other side of the river. 2 guys and there lab come walking along the bank. It's fine. I start heading to some thick brush along the river and they try to cut me off. I wasn't going to shoot across the river if one flew that way soI didn't care that they were doing that. What pissed me off is that they decided to wade in knee deep water to cut me off. Fortunately he decided it was too deep and he moves up river and the second guy shadowed me as I walked along the river and he was in the water. He eventually disappeared behind me and I continued working my way to another thick area of brush. Well, apparently they wanted to hunt that. I turn around and they are behind me, my father, and my cousin pushing towards where I wanted to go. However, they were walking faster and pushed between the 3 of us. They got about 300 yards in front and cut towards the river and right into the area I wanted to hunt. I then cut back to my cousin and said I was done.
What gave these to morons the nerve to 1. Shadow me and cut me off to one spot, 2. Cut through our group, and 3. Cut us off again? What kind of etique is that? I always thought that bird hunting was a gentlemens sports. I decided that my pup will now be out next year on opening day.
Those were the only 2 guys we ran into all day.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I was thinking of giving Pheasant hunting a try, but after hearing just about everyone who went Saturday complain. I decided against it.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
While WMA's are full of morons, they are not all bad. Especially during the week. Yea they can get crowded, but if you are in the right one you can have a good time.

These stories reflect opening day blues for a big part.

I'm heading out on Tues to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I use to pheasant hunt with a good friend of mine from 1982 until passed away 12 years ago. He had a fantasic German Shorthair that never missed a bird. We hunted the Flatbrook WMA, same area you talk about here. We never went at sun-up, just to scary a place to be. We did one year on opening morning, had guys shooting over us, literally had birdshot raining down on my head. My buddy's dog almost got shot by some idiots, and that's just the beginning. We would head up there at @10:00 am when most of the guys where heading back to their vehicles. The best time is from 11:00 to dusk, hardly anyone up there. JRHunt, If you want to get into smallgame hunting, it is alot of fun, great exercise and it gives you a great day in the woods. The best part is if you have a dog. Watching a dog work is alot of fun. But you have to forego the early hours on public WMA areas. Head up there @ 3 hours after sun-up and alot of guys are gone. The afternoon you practically have the place to yourself. Get a good dog and you still have some chances to putting up birds.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
does anyone know how crowded whittingham is during the week? i might take off from school to go either this thursday or next tuesday...

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TJC you are right. It isn't that crowded during the week. I'll be at Flatbrook on Thursday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts