New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
-
I was going to ask for more info, but I saw you were posting in Z23. Yes, one day - 18 December and it is one deer only. Don't forget you will need the buck tag (if you have not already purchased) as well. Lot of deer, but kind of high for a one day hunt.
Don't know where you get the idea that there is a lot of deer in Z23, maybe the state told you????[confusedagain]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its impossible to for that zone to not have alot of deer...i can dig you not wanting to blow up a spot if you hunt it...but no way that amount of forest is not crawling with deer...i ALWAYS see them on the side of the road eating or dead. [rofl]

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Johnny8148- It's 12/17 Wed. this yr not 18th. Never did the one day before but the wife has not gotten a deer so we're trying it this yr. Crazy permit cost for one day. Should be a discount. Oh well more money for the state F&G who seem to be doing a decent job. She does not want to do muzzleloader but I have the permit so at worst I will learn one more day's worth of deer activity post-driver pushes from 6 day. Will be baiting to raise our chances. Did not bait last yr just adjusted to the tracks I saw on fire trails.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've been hunting zone 23 for 30 years (and lived in it for the past 10), and the deer numbers are way down from what they once were. Overhunting and blue tongue have knocked the population way back...far from "crawling with deer". Even one day of permit shotgun might be too much.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I remember as a kid that permit shotgun season was "doe day." Took my first deer on "doe day" and tags were full blown lottery draw with none left, and you may even get skunked in the draw and not get a tag....Granted that was 30+ years ago but I remember it very well....I also remember when doe day was extended into 2 days. LOL....Of course now in my zone "doe day" is well over a month long.....

Reactions: Huntin Fool

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Don't know where you get the idea that there is a lot of deer in Z23, maybe the state told you????[confusedagain]
Deer 2, been hunting the zone since 85. If you know where to look, you will find deer. Now, if you're talking massive bucks, maybe not as many around, but if you need to fill the freezer, it's the perfect zone.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Johnny8148- It's 12/17 Wed. this yr not 18th. Never did the one day before but the wife has not gotten a deer so we're trying it this yr. Crazy permit cost for one day. Should be a discount. Oh well more money for the state F&G who seem to be doing a decent job. She does not want to do muzzleloader but I have the permit so at worst I will learn one more day's worth of deer activity post-driver pushes from 6 day. Will be baiting to raise our chances. Did not bait last yr just adjusted to the tracks I saw on fire trails.
yeah, got the dates confused -- December is too hard. Yes, it is crazy for a one-day hunt, but grew up in that area and have to hunt it more for nostalgia than anything else. If I get a deer, I'm happy - -if not, I can live with the 28.00 permit fee.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Deer 2, been hunting the zone since 85. If you know where to look, you will find deer. Now, if you're talking massive bucks, maybe not as many around, but if you need to fill the freezer, it's the perfect zone.
JFYI; I I've hunted Z23 since 1962 and things are a lot different now. Granted there are some deer there (as seen on trail cameras, but nothing like back in the 60s or 70s. Let me know how you make out and Good Luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There are deer around. Nowhere near as many as in the past. EHD really destroyed the herd about 5 years back. Decent deer are hard to come by. I was able to take this one from my stand on Thursday of buck week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
JFYI; I I've hunted Z23 since 1962 and things are a lot different now. Granted there are some deer there (as seen on trail cameras, but nothing like back in the 60s or 70s. Let me know how you make out and Good Luck.
Agreed, things have changed, but if one is just looking to put a doe in the freezer, it is (IMO) a good zone to hunt. Saw 6 doe, but too far for buckshot. A good day nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Large parts of zone 23 were put into 19 several years ago before recently changing back to 23 and clubs from deep south jersey were coming up here and shooting everything brown* Also clubs claiming us bow hunters were killing too many bucks also led to the crazy one deer per season and shortened seasons in 21 and 23 among others*Big ripoff to pay 56 dollars for a one day hunt to shoot either 1 buck or 1 doe*There have never been numbers of deer in 23 like back in the 60's or 70's ,but there are deer still there*I was very successful in the 90's during the bow seasons*Haven't hunted either zones since hunting private ground starting in 2002 in 48*

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.