New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished reading an article in a hunting magazine I subscribe to, and it mentions states like Kansas & Ohio. Where they are only allow one buck a year. Both of these states rank high in the number of big buck taken every year. Do you think that one buck a year would first work, second help NJ to get recognised for its big bucks as well. A deer management program like this would most likely allow little bucks the opportunity to grow before they are harvested.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
THATS whatthis state needs is a new managment plan and sure it help it's only amatter of time before we have somthing like that here

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I think NJ would rank very high if everyone prcticed QDM. But it will never fly here.
We have the potential here to grow monsters. But most NJ hunters are satisfied with any buck they can get.

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
I personally don't need the state to tell me to Shoot less bucks and we as hunters certainly don't need them to tell you to pass on scrubs and wait for a mature animal, It's something called Patience and Self Control ;) "Not" Knocking The Guys that just want to shoot one for the freezer it's just my 2 cents
We all have the potential to use our Patience and Self Control when hunting but unfortunately it's something must hunters in this state seem to lack any scene of control over, but hey that's just my opinion and I do practice what I preach :D

If you want to take a bunch of deer get involved with a deer management hunt program and put that uncontrollable instinct to good use [up] :D

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I don't need the state to tell us to Shoot less bucks and we certainly don't need them to tell you to pass on scrubs and wait for a mature animal, It's something called Patience and Self Control
And also most Hunter's if they see a young deer like 2 3 years old they will not shoot it because they know it will grow into a mature deer in years to come.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
What one buck a year, that is just nuts, I mean whats next one hunt a year
Posted: 27 Jun 2009 11:25 AM
Its that additude that will destroy the deer herd! mabey not when your not hunting but still we be!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I think NJ should do a 2 buck a year one with archery gear and one with muzzleloader or shotgun whatever you choose.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
One buck a year would be great!! [up][up]

If you want to shoot more deer, shoot does where they have problems with overpopulation.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Or I will just save the bucks for the orange army to shoot them
more than likely!
but that doesn't stop me.if he aint bigger than a 6 he walks if he only walks a few yards n somebody else gets him then so be it!maybe antler restrictions

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Bag limits are almost as touchy a subject as crossbows.
The State of NJ has no interested in Trophy hunting. They are all about keeping the herd in check. Look at how long our season is and the large amount of Deer both Bucks and Doe we can kill.

·
Registered
928 Posts
i'd like to see 2 bucks a year with one during any archery season and one with either a muzzleloader or shotgun. it keeps everyone in the game. after 2 or 3 years, go to antler restrictions such as 3 or 4 points to a side, statewide. manage does according to population objectives for that zone. after a couple of years, more and bigger bucks will be around as more bucks will live to the next age class. it may not equal the midwest in terms of trophy bucks but i'd bet it be a big improvement.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
What is needed is an end to the fawn kill in the late seasons along with a one buck limit. That will never happen though. It would be like taking candy from a baby. The crying would be deafening!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts