New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
absolutely....who says it even works...just because it's made out of 4 x 4's, car parts and rope...hey they allow these super light, 90% letoff, with all the other high tech bells and whistles in the woods, why not this?...hey...if you can get it out there you should be able to do anything you want with it. [hihi]

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well I am curious as to why there isn't an "upper" level restraint in the regs. There are limits on sizes of shotgun, the compound has a "physical" built in restraint. Although you are stating it tongue-n-cheek reality is that the extremes will indeed increase as technology develops.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the compound has a "physical" built in restraint.
only to a certain degree. as you stated, advances in technology such as improved string materials, improved cam designs, improved limb materials and improved arrow materials will also increase upper performance ends in ALL bows. this is demonstrated by a few 70 lb compound bows that produce speeds commonly associated with crossbows with much higher draw weights. i'd bet that within a few years, there will be an IBO compound bow that breaks 400fps which is only an increase of about 35-40fps over the fastest compounds now.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The "physical" restraint of the compound is a persons ability to "pull" it back. Sure maybe they will reach 400 fps BUT with the MECHANICAL advantages of an XBOW they will reach it sooner.

All of the strings, pulleys and what not still require an individual to pull it back to the "break-over" point. With an xbow that is NOT necessarily the case.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the MECHANICAL advantages of an XBOW they will reach it sooner
they already have. the stryker is over 400fps. the point is that there will always be technological advances which will effect all equipment. i don't see the sense in limiting the performance of any bow. i can legally hunt with a muzzy that shoots over 2000fps and produces over 10 times the kinetic energy any bow or crossbow can produce. theoretically, a bow that shoots even 1000fps can't come close to that so why limit bows. if you want to push for primative weapons, then push for a primitive archery season with no modern equipment allowed.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
if you want to push for primative weapons, then push for a primitive archery season with no modern equipment allowed.
I'm not pushing for a primitive archery season. I am wondering why they haven't set an upper limit? As for your reference to the muzzy. maybe NOT for long. There are indeed rumblings about them and their effective ranges expanding.

You don't use a muzzy in the general archery season, do you?

So you are okay if I were to use that contraption in the picture?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
There are indeed rumblings about them and their effective ranges expanding.
Even shootin the Stryker you will find it's not much different than the other crossbows and I would not shoot over 40 yards with it.

Maybe in a perfect environment with a shooting bench you can shoot further, but not hunting...just my opinion of course

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
[lol]....you know it's true....all you have to do is shoot one....I have 3...they aren't much different and by no means comparable to a firearm...and I don't give a hoot that that track is called a barrel, and there is a stock and there is a trigger..not drawn back in the presence of game..blah blah blah....[sleep][sleep][sleep]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.