New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A thought on unity

I'm writing this thread in reference to the differance of opinion between pro xbowers and die hard vert bowers like myself. My stance has always been against full inclusion but for the handicapped,elderly,and everyone after fall bow. Don't get me wrong here,I still believe this would be best however things don't always go the way one wishes and a general acceptance is the path one must follow to move on and keep hunter unity strong. Many of us have taken shots at F&G including myself mainly out of frustration because we feel our voice is not heard. But if we start to draw significant lines between types of hunting our voice weakens which leaves the antis licking there chops. We all know the damage done by our state towards F&G finacially is a "back door" move to bankrupt them feuled by the antis because they couldn't do it thru the front door. With that said,a division between hunters[bow,gun,xbow] and F&G will only strenthen their agenda. Look at the show of unity and how it strenthened our cause in wall township. Hunters,trappers,fisherman,F&G and even a scuba diver,all having some differance in some beliefs but at the same time united on an issue. An issue that some probobly would never have been affected by but still a strong comradery between sportsman showing their support for eachother. We need to move now to the singal most important issue for hunters,bag limits and unlimited does. If we "all" can join forces on these issues and keep after them with a true tenacity we can lead F&G to consider change. Just imagine if the federation,ubnj,ubnxj,njoa,and all sportsman could stand side by side at agenda meetings showing unity,that's power that can't be ignored. The bashing and in your face comments need to stop by all sides now! I myeslf will use my vert bow during bow season wether xbows are in the woods at the same time or not, I will use my shotgun during firearms season and probobly try an xbow during winter bow. Does my use of an xbow during winter bow alter my beliefs of the art and sactity of bow season,NO. But my beliefs can carry on without the need to bash someone else because they don't share the same ones I do. Acceptance is the only way we can stand strong and united. You may say,what brought all this on,well today being 911 we reflect back and remember how our nation showed it's unity against a larger threat. Republicans,democrats,independant,rich,poor,black,white all stood together against those that tried to harm us. As sportsman the antis need to be considered our biggest threat,not eachother. Fire away on me if you'd like but take s second to think about what I've said before you do.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Max,
My interest was in having a bow season IMO we do not have that anylonger and as a result my interest is declining rapidlyI don't know if others feel that way or if it's just me could be as I never really did hear the same drummer as most folks.

Let those who feel they have this great victory (Over whom?) protect what they feel is theirs.

This state has done all it could to cater to the lowest common denominator within "The sport" better minds than mine feel it is in good hands I hope they are right.
Crossbows, shooting bucks on "Depridation tags" a 6 buck limit that "Has No effect on the quality of bucks harvested" (This from the guy who coined the phrase "Bear incident" a system now designed to advance the gun seasons further into November.
Why ANYONE would allow them selves to feel shock and disapointment when bucks are "Harvested by pouchers or on depridation permits is beyond me we should all know better by now.
Yup unity as long as the other guy keeps getting to eat off of his plate and yours too.
Oh and what exactly seperates sport hunting from just killing again?
Whishing all of you an enjoyable early deer killing season.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JB,
I understand and can't argue any of your points,I myself also wanted to preserve bow season as well. I simply copy and pasted this post from last year. If I took the time I probobly would've edited out my feelings on bashing F&G. I am very unhappy with their approach to about everything and have lost faith in their decisions as being fair and unbiased. With that being said I believe the only way we could change things is untiting together to put more pressure before they can decide on issues. I'm not shocked at all anymore,maybe surprised sometimes but that goes away quickly and becomes more of a "that figures" if ya know what I mean. Alot have indeed made it a "killing season" but all I can do is Hunt the way I've been taught[fair chase] and try to ignore those that know nothing about it. Only when we lose our right to hunt will others realise what we've lost,unfortunatly some STILL won't understand. But all we can hope for right now is enough of us unite to stop the ball from rolling down hill. Enjoy your first day my friend,I will be out bow in hand,no bait in sight,and remembering my mentor,my father who passed away in march but lived long enough to show me the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts