1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
saw it before but still awesome [up]

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Cool. Looks like the rage 3 blade didn't hold up too well and no penetration. Seems the fixed position blades performed the best.

I still shoot old wasp sst hammer heads. I don't think they make them any more. Is there something equivalent??

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
The barrel test can show one thing and that is a fixed blade will always help you for those days that something happens in the field that would not have occured on the square range. Such as a twig hitting the arrow, buck fever making you snap the release instead of having a smooth release and so on and so on.

Again, in my opinion if you are going after a heavy animal you are better off with a fixed blade. All heads will kill a deer when properly placed and every head for the most part will kill the game if you happen to gut shoot it and give it time. But the fact is there is a great chance that if you hit bone the mech will give you and issue, while you can always depend on a good solid fixed head to break bone and get the job done, again for those days that someing happens in the filed that usaully does not happan on the square range.

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
My snap help me set a record on your turf!!
LOL!!! I forgot about that Angel[hihi][hihi][hihi]

still shoot old wasp sst hammer heads. I don't think they make them any more.
Bobo64, I still shoot Wasp SST Hammers in 100 grain. You are takling about the same head correct?

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That slick trick looks pretty good, I may give them a try after I get my bow re strung [up]

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
There is a machine called an Instron. It is a load cell device that can measure the strength of something by pulling it apart or pushing something through a membrane. Most places I have worked we used it to test the strength of wire by pulling it until it breaks and recording the force from the load cell.Based on the cross sectional area of the wire the tensile strength can be calculated from that data. Many years ago when I worked for B-D we used it to measure the force required for a hypodermic needle to penetrate pigskin. This was to determin the best sharpening angles for the needle. I always wanted to get an assortment of broadheads and perform the same test.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I would have liked to see how Rocket Ultimate Steel would have done.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
There is a machine called an Instron
Many years ago when I worked for B-D
We also have an Instron where I work, and we use it for the same purpose that you did (I've also used it check out some knots for fishing). There's also a good chance that the wire you tested was straightened by us, Wytech Ind.. B-D is still one of our biggest customers....small world.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
We also have an Instron where I work, and we use it for the same purpose that you did (I've also used it check out some knots for fishing). There's also a good chance that the wire you tested was straightened by us, Wytech Ind.. B-D is still one of our biggest customers....small world.
No the wire we tested was not at B-D. It was at 2 different wire manufacturers where I worked. As you probabably know wire drawing increases tensile strength then it must be annealed. The Instron was for that.

BTW I am unemployed...does Wytech have any engineering positions open?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.