New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a very old (1915?) double barrel 12 gauge, Riverside Arms Co.. It is in pretty rough shape, I dont think I would be comfortable firing it as is. My question would be...does anybody know where I could get a replacement stock? Or would this just be better as wall-art? Stock is cracked in 4 spots, see pics. 20140515_194459.jpg 20140515_194512.jpg

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you aren't going to shoot it I wouldn't touch it. I recently also got a 100+ year old side by side. Be warned they cannot handle modern loads and have shorter chambers. Mine is chambered 2-5/8 which seems to be common for the age. Even though modern 2-3/4 will fit they should not be fired and could result in catastrophic failure. I'm thinking of getting some rst shells so I can shoot mine but these "vintage specialty" loads are like double the price of conventional ammo. In any case, cool gun and good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boyds has one but it must be for a single shot...measurements dont look to match up.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Riverside Arms is Stevens from Chicopee Falls, MA. It's basically the Stevens 315 SxS. Check with Numrich or Boyd's and see if they have a replacement buttstock for a 315.

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
id hang it as is... the age it shows is what makes it cool.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Your going to have to hand make the stock. It can be done with patience and time. There are plenty of sites that sell blanks and have your pick at some nice wood.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
If the gun is shootable in all other respects I'd fix it myself. Those cracks don't look that bad. If you can get wood glue in the cracks and clamp them that should take care of it. If not drill some holes and countersink some brass screws, use your imagination like they did back in the day. I'm sure anything you do regardless of how it looks will just add to the existing character. The main thing is to get it to the point it's shootable regardless of looks and use it. I've seen some pretty wild homemade fixes on originals from way back in the day when things were done at home with what was on hand or cheaply available at the local hardware store.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe I'll try to find a nice wood slab with the bark still on and mount it. I have plenty of other shooters.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Really doesn't look that bad. If that were my gun I would take stock off and glue it with "Hot Stuff" CA glue. It will seep into the smallest crack. They also have a thicker version called Supper T for larger cracks.

HOT STUFF INSTANT GLUE | Brownells

1 - 13 of 13 Posts