New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been scouting an area that has a ton of fresh sign, I have noticed the newer fresh rubs are right in front of the older (healed up) rubs. Do deer travel the same route year after year after year?

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Now that you know where, ask yourself why, and apply that to any woods.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
If you can follow the line and then it stops but way further on down the trail you see it start up again you just may have found something good between those two lines

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The line started at what I believe to be a food source. A huge oak flat. And led me into some really really thick cover where I noticed someone was hinge cutting, no sign of current or old stands. but tons of deer sign. should I abandon this area all together?

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Big bucks tend to rub and renew the same lines every year. It's not even always the same buck it's just usually a route that makes them feel safer

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
The line started at what I believe to be a food source. A huge oak flat. And led me into some really really thick cover where I noticed someone was hinge cutting, no sign of current or old stands. but tons of deer sign. should I abandon this area all together?
Sounds like a dead end, give me the gps co-ordinates and I'll check it out for you. [rofl] Sounds like you got a dream spot, now hang a stand on both sides of the trail and play the wind or bring in a climber. Sounds like you may need a partner to drag them all out.[patcheye]

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
If you closely you will probably even see remnants of old wooden stands. Some spots are just geographically correct for deer travel and produce year after year.
I had a spot like that and when the field near by got plowed stone arrowheads would turn up.
Easy to say some good spots been good for hundreds maybe thousands of years round here.

Reactions: makosnax and mikejd

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't want to step on any ones toes, but this is the heaviest sign I have ever experienced. how far should I stay away from the area that the hinge cuts were made? I predict they may be using a climber also

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
If you are planning on hunting it this year with a gun, I would set up inside the thick cover with your climber 50 to 100 yards downwind of the trail entering, but where you can see. Be there 1 hour before light. Come in the way he(the buck) isn't. Worth a try. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts