New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'd personally hit a good pinch point, and stay silent. If you have a buck you can see out of range, grunt or bleat to try and get him to come in. I don't think blind calling is worth the risk

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I disagree. Right before last light if you don't see anything rattle like crazy. If you catch a buck coming out of his bed he will come right to you. Just be prepared cause it will be a frontal shot and they usually try to come down wind. Doesn't always work but when it does they come running like a chicken. What else do you have to loose at last light? Snort wheeze and grunt also will pull him out if his bed.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Not sure how grunting, bleating, and tickling antlers will bring in a duck and therein may lie your problem [lol]. If I see a buck during this time of year, I will softly grunt his way, but other than that, I'm sitting near trails that are going in and out of the food sources. Bucks have to fatten up before they start beating each other to a pulp and trying to have sex with anything that has a pulse. Just sit and relax and let the deer and the ducks come to you.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I'd personally hit a good pinch point, and stay silent. If you have a buck you can see out of range, grunt or bleat to try and get him to come in. I don't think blind calling is worth the risk
I disagree. from this point on over the next few weeks be doing some grunts every 10 min. I don't rattle as much maby once or twice a sit sometimes not at all, but take warning when you grunt or rattle be ready they can come in fast. of course you can grunt and rattle all you want but if you don't have bucks in the area they wont come in, those calls are good but not magical

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'm eager for the rut too, but it's just not here yet. Not gonna blow a good stand site by blind calling every 10 mins, or beating the hell out of my antlers and snort wheezing and grunting away at last light. The bucks are mostly ready to go, the does aren't. That tells me to sit on a good travel route leading to does. If I've done my scouting, I'll get on a good buck... and that's not luck.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I don't think you'd want to spend time trying to entice bucks at last light. They could come in after shooting hours. Think about it, it's last light, you'd basically need them to run to you to get there before it was too dark. Random rattling, grunting n so to me is not the best approach, when you see a buck walking, searching, eyes down, lightly hit the grunt tube. Best is he's not sure where it came from. If he doesn't respond grunt slightly louder but not much. Once he looks in your direction do nothing. He may come but more often he'll begin to walk away again. Hit the tube again softly. Hopefully he picks up his head and looks again. He'll see nothing and your soft calling has allowed him nothing as far as exact location, but he'll have you pegged close enough. Very often he'll start towards you. Do not grunt again, don't snort wheeze, etc. that snort wheeze is reserved for situations we don't have in Jersey often. Don't be surprised if he flat out runs in either but don't expect that. Worse case scenario he walks away without being alerted by the nut in the tree trying everything in his power to change that bucks mind, too must n it's over. You also should not be doing the same things, same place more than once or twice.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Russa's question is the equivalent of a fat guy eating one rice cake & wondering why he isn't skinny yet. The perseption that hunting is so easy blows my mind.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
The biggest mistake to make is putting too much pressure on the deer. You don't want to push out your doe. If you insist on calling deer do it in sequences 20 minutes to a half hour apart. Lightly! Just because you don't see deer it doesn't mean they didn't hear you. Deer sometimes rush right in, but most times they will take their time and come in with caution looking for the "other deer". Try to keep your movement at a minimum looking in "all" directions and have your bow at the ready.

If you see a doe running from an aggressive buck grunt at her as loud as you can. If you see a buck nose to ground on the move blow into the hole of your can call (Baa Baaa) as loud as you can. Fast moving deer are making a lot of noise in the leaves and have to hear your calling at those times.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.