New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I found out where all the oil the was spilled at the Bloomsbury exit ended up - the Musky Gorge.

There are areas where it is just laying like a film - at first I thought that it was a trick of the light but it is definitely oil - I could even smell it at times. Not good for the mayflies...

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one from early April.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shoot2kill8,

We have had plenty of big rains since that spill. It tended to be in the back eddies but the fact that it is still there despite the heavy rains over the past month says to me that a lot more was spilled than was admitted to being spilled.

Not that NJ officials lying is especially novel and newsworthy but I am just too naive and unsophisticated, I suppose, not to still be disturbed by it. I have only lived here 15 years so I am sure that I will acclimatise eventually...

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Oliver,

I have been down there personally many, many times since the spill. We now know that far less than 100 gallons of diesel spilled from the TruckStops America fuel station. We also know the cause and have preventative actions in place at that truck stop to prevent a reoccurence.

I have not seen any evidence of the spill since about 3 days afterward nor have any of our partners or the DEP. Please PM me if you have other information. Thanks!

Brian Cowden - TU's Musconetcong Home Rivers Coordinator

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is strange because it is obviously oil that smelled like diesel down there. It was observed from about 200 yards downstream of the Conrail bridge down in the Gorge through upstream I would estimate .5 mile upstream in the sloughs and back eddies - this was a week ago to the day. To get there just park at the junction of Staats Road and Hawk Schoolhouse on the county property and then walk diagonally across that cornfield, across the next one until the overgrown grass lane heading right then cut diagonally across the field to the left on the green? trail to the tree line then just head down downhill a few hundred feet to the river you will find yourself in the gorge about 200 yards max from the conrail bridge where you will see plenty of surface oil slicks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.