New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
The guys I hunt with have had a good week...three of four killed bucks, a 140+ 9 pointer and a 160+ 13 pointer, and an 8 pointer. They said it's just starting to get revved up, but I won't be able to get there till Friday the 11th at the earliest.

Good luck on your trip. Are you hunting public, private or with an outfitter?

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Going to SE Ohio in the Morgan/Noble county area. No farms, but I love hunting the wooded hills and hollows. It's so quiet out there, you can actually feel like you are hunting. We are a little over 5 miles from the nearest paved road.

Good luck

G

·
I'm heading to Highland County for the shotgun season. I might stop over into Ross county near the end of the week,
Good luck out there I wish I was going this early.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Dan, my brother an I have a lease with a few other guys from Pa, but there is plenty of public land out there. It's a little tougher because the public lands tend to be crowded with hunters, even during bow season. Crossbows are legal and there are ALOT of people who hunt with them, so Ohio's woods actually seem more crowded at times than NJ. From my experience, the majority of guys just kinda walk the trails or through the woods, with the crossbow at the ready, like if they were rabbit or bird hunting with a gun. So, if you get back in deep enough, you can get away from them, and there are some pretty big bucks on Ohio's public lands. Just about every piece of private land within 20 miles of us is posted heavily, most of it leased. Leasing is becoming very big in Ohio.

Another thing I would suggest is going for two weeks during the rut and not one. That gives you more time to find the deer and zero in on them. One week is tough in new territory with no guide. I only know of a few "guides" in Ohio, and they have fenced properties.

Good luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NJ Bowhntr give me a call maybe we could meet for dinner one night in Ohio when you get there. I email my number to tou good luck. Ohio is getting very popular with hunting there getting some big bucks and pepole are starting to go hunting in Ohio.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts