New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much time do you spend training with live birds in the offseason, particularly for younger dogs? My lab is 9.5 months, he is off to a great start with several successful hunts and around 50 flushes. Wondering how much time I need to spend in live birds this offseason in addition to waterfowl and more obedience training. Want to make sure he stays bird crazy.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I do not do the field trials, I am a meat hunter, and I don't get nearly as crazy as others do about training.

My offseason consists of retrieving work with a bumper and scented dokken a few times a week. I keep the sessions to about 10-15 minutes, if the dog isn't interested then we just walk and I let her do her thing. Maybe 2-4 times I will get some live birds if they are around and head out to the fields. Between the heat and ticks, I don't do much field work. In September/October I ramp it up and my dog does just fine.

It really all depends on preference. It might take my dog an extra week or two into the season for her to get where I want her to be, but that is ok for me. If you are a field trial guy, it's a year round job. My dog has loses no drive, and will always go crazy for a bird.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
My lab is 9.5 months, he is off to a great start with several successful hunts and around 50 flushes.
Funny you mention the number of flushes. I was on another forum with guys from out west who have their dogs over 200-300 birds a season![eek] I gotta move![hihi]

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny you mention the number of flushes. I was on another forum with guys from out west who have their dogs over 200-300 birds a season! I gotta move!
Me too. Half of those were birds I stocked. By the time he really got going the state had stopped stocking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.