New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering,my cousin got pulled over in Jersey City recently for speeding,luckily only got a warning,but couldn't help notice that the officer was only about 5'4" and over 330+ pounds. Is there a gold standard to measure up to or just dept. to dept. regulation? Majority of cops seem lean and fit.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Once you graduate from the acadamey it is donut city!
Most police Departmenst never require a test again. You may have taken the test 30 years ago and eaten 10,000 donuts since! lmao
I retired and I am going back. I need to retest since I have been out for more than 3 years. I need to lose 50 pounds and run!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Any physical requirements have to be job specific and documented as such. Philadelphia had it nailed years ago (I think it was SEPTA police) and had reams of paper detailing how they tested the data on many foot chases, physical arrests, etc. to justify their specific minimum physical standards. The courts held that what they did was what would be required before any physical standard would pass muster.
For most agencies, that is just beyond their means so you end up with fat, our of shape cops who die young of heart attacks. SAd but true.

Art

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
iam a officer and I try to keep myself in the best physical condition possible but there is no testing or requirement after the academy.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
You would think an officer would want to stay in decent shape, because of the potential situations they can get into.

I think maybe police depts should have a physical standard.

·
Registered
755 Posts
You would think an officer would want to stay in decent shape, because of the potential situations they can get into.
I guess it would depend on the officer's personal motivation... One in good shape can chase perps better, catches more. One in not so good shape still chases perps, and catches some, but is there isn't really any negative consequence for him if he gives chase and the suspect eludes him, is there?

·
Registered
576 Posts
but is there isn't really any negative consequence for him if he gives chase and the suspect eludes him, is there?
What about when he catches a perp and gets his ass handed to him because he has nothing left in the tank?

Sounds like all the motivation I would need...

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
This Poster keeps me motivated on those days when I dont feel like slinging some iron.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts