New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
i wish i had the time to be out didnt get out the last few weeks at all never once did i miss open day[down].. im going tommarrow for the first time this year[up] [up] [up]... good luck guys

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Super quiet in my neck of the woods Z 14 , coyote problem, too many of them, even showing up on cam smack midday

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Was out last night didn't see a check in thread. Got in the stand late around 5:30, first time hunting this area this year so didn't know what to expect but didn't have to wait long. 5:35 as I was still getting stuff organized had 3 deer in heavy cover 50 yards away. 5:45 two deer out In the field. 6pm big doe comes in with two button bucks. 30 yard quartering away shot and smoked her. 3 for 3 this season, I'm done now unless I see a big buck in PA

Attachments

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I was in NY yesterday for the opener. The morning was slow but I was seeing coyotes. I went in early in the afternoon. Started seeing deer by 2:30 and they never stopped til dark. Seemed a good movement day. It was the opener so that helps but maybe some Jersey areas are feeling too much pressure. Look months of improper scouting, baiting, checking cameras, setting stands, rechecking cameras, moving stands, groups in the woods on all sides can't help. The regular season starts Saturday. It's like fishing "fresh" water.

·
Registered
184 Posts
bowguy where do you hunt in NY, I'm going this weekend, first time hunting this year. May have to wait till sunday with the rain.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'll be hunting z-14 this afternoon

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bowguy,I have a piece of private property in the catskills off of 209. I hav'nt been up there to do much scouting and no camera this year so I have no idea what will show up. I have hunted this piece for over 20 years so i just hang a stand on the same tree and hunt.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I was out this morning from 5:45 until 9AM. Had two adult does come in with a button buck fawn and a doe fawn at 7:30. They left at 8:00 at 8:15 I decided to start packing up. After packing my binoculars, video camera and tree arm , I spot movement. Low and behold its a buck. I dig my binos back out and see that its a decent high racked six point. I then spot more movement behind the six point. It is a pretty nice eight pointer, a bit bigger than the one I passed last week. I grab my bow , the deer come in on a string to ten yards. I debated whether or not to shoot the eight and decided to hang the bow and try to sneak my video camera out of my zippered up pack. With the bucks only ten to fifteen yards away , I could not believe I succeeded. The opened up the camera lens , flipped open the LCD screen and started videoing. After about ten minutes the camera battery died. I switched batteries with the two bucks right under me. A little while later the six pointer looks across the powerline cut and trudges across , head up the whole time. It ends up that he must of heard a buck grunt, because five minutes later he comes back across the cut trailing a small buck. Every time the six would face the little buck and lower his head, the little guy would just turn and walk away. Finally the eight pointer banged heads with the little guy twice. It was a blast watching them, I probably would not of had as much fun if I killed the eight pointer. It is all on video. When I complete the disc I will post it on the site.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im over at another etand debwting if its still too early to go tonight in... what say you?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just got in blind jumped a doe that was moving toward my setup. Hope she comes back in a few. Last day until november for me. Taking boat to florida amd then turnaround time at refinery until 29th.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Bowguy,I have a piece of private property in the catskills off of 209. I hav'nt been up there to do much scouting and no camera this year so I have no idea what will show up. I have hunted this piece for over 20 years so i just hang a stand on the same tree and hunt.
The Catskills can be real tough in some areas. Hope it's easy by you. Good luck

1 - 20 of 34 Posts