New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering... I'm thinking about getting a surf fishing rig set up. I'm wondering what I could catch in the surf that's good eating? This way I would know what's worth keeping, I throw back whatever is not going to be on the table in a couple days.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
fluke, stripers, weakfish,flounder, depending on where u fish tog, and sea bass,,,,

depending on your taste buds
blues
skates
sea robins

those 3 are eatible some people like them some hate thm

i've caught spanish mackeral, and blow fish off the surf too

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Your personal taste is what matters. In the Surf.
Bluefish-(some love it,some hate it) I give it to the neighbors:D.
Fluke -(Mmm)[tasty].
Sea Robins- (not for me, but not that bad,). Stripers-(MM Good)[tasty].
Blackfish- near the jetties.[tasty]
Kingfish- near the jetties.[tasty]
Weakfish-tasty]
Porgies- Good but boney

Just bring home and taste , decide for yourself. Good Luck.[up]
Blowfish- Scarce but good[tasty]

·
Registered
746 Posts
that is a loaded question...I serve in my restaurant, bluefish, skate and sea robin, fluke and flounder. Why it is a loaded question is if you dont cut the bloodline out of the bluefish it is not great to eat but if you marinate the blue fish and cut the bloodline out it is great. If you daring enough to clean the sea robin properly and take your time it is one of the best atlantic fish you have ever eaten, if not its not worth your time....if you can get over the look of the skate and dont cut through the middle cartlidge you will find super sweet and white flesh, if not you get your fingers cut on the spikes on the skin of the skate.

So "GOOD EATING" is all in the knowledge and preperation of the fish

"GOOD EATING TO ALL"

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
well said. Chef. I've smoked some bluefish that was great. All a matter of choice. I grew up on Cod and Lobster so I have some preferances. But like you said if prepared right, it's all good.[up]

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
theres your answer bud!

i love skate and sea robins...some of the best fish i have ever eaten if prepared properly and those who say they hate it probably haven't eaten it the right way LOL.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I haven't summoned the courage up to eat a sea robin yet, but I always said if I catch a big one; I'll try it. Is there any difference in taste between a small robin or big one?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Stripers and fluke are excellent eating, followed by weakfish, seabass and then maybe blues. I prefer blues if they are under 4-5 pounds. Otherwise, you get the fatty stuff in your fillets and have to cut that out so it doesn't sour the meal.

If you do land a large blue in excess of 8 lbs, don't discard the head after filleting. Dig your fillet knife into the meaty area on both cheeks. Great white meat in there!!

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I've pretty much tried it all and im almost convinced that ALMOST everything out of the ocean when consumed FRESH is great to eat. False Albacore(little tunny) are nasty.

As for bluefish (my favorite to catch) if there meat is cared for in the same manner a tuna or bass was/is they are great. Agree trim off the dark meat but ya should do that with any fish/critter.

Nick

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
If you do land a large blue in excess of 8 lbs, don't discard the head after filleting. Dig your fillet knife into the meaty area on both cheeks. Great white meat in there!!
That goes for most fish...its considered the filet mignon of fish...stripers have em and they are phenominal!

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Tile fish me boys thats whats the best to poor boys lobsta:p[up]

Its a given that anyone who eats a bluefish definutly has a tasten for strong fish and can eat almost any fish then but what is really good to eat is the question am I correct.

The answer is God made them and they are all edible even fish that is said to be poisonis there parts within that fish that can be eaten.

I personally don't eat darker colored fish fleash it has to be white firmed flrashed fish for my liking.

They eat sea unchants and they are very posioness, baricudas are also eaten and favored by Island people in the south and they are supposed to be no good. People eat them. For me if it tastes like fish and it is strong tasting I don't take it home.

Preparation starts with thebatlle of the fish then it follows to the proper cooling of that fash follwed by the proper cut of the fish then the cooking method of that fish.

I cooked me up a tuna steak the other night on my George forman grille and left the inside red not bloody and it was like I had me a beef steak it was really good. Yes I seasoned it with garlic,and all seasoned Mrs. dash but it wasn't cooked to death that made it so tasty.

Blowfish are some of the best as well. Sea Robins are good as well as long as you repare them correctly so they aren't fishy.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Cheeks are very good especialy Tuna and swordi and best of all, shark faces and yes even a stunked up Bluefish as well.

Cook them up in butter and garlic and then wonder why you suffer from Ghout?[rofl][rofl]

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I haven't summoned the courage up to eat a sea robin yet, but I always said if I catch a big one;
You ment the courage to clean a sea robin once you do you will never let one go again[tasty]
Tile fish me boys thats whats the best to poor boys lobsta
Monk fish is poor mans lobster not tile.[tasty]
He knows what he's talking about!!!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Black Sea Bass is the best thing ive ever had.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.