New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contacted by our friends in NYS regarding the proposed New Bobcat Management Plan. DEC has proposed increasing the season and the trapping area for bobcats in NYS. This plan is creating strong opposition from the anti's that oppose the harvesting of bobcats (or anything else for that matter) and are making their voices heard. This is where all sportsman need to unite. Please take the time to respond with a positive e-mail before Feb 19. The e-mail address is as follows: [email protected] Please put "Bobcat Plan" in the subject box. Here is a sample letter;
To whom it may concern; I am sending this letter in support of the New Bobcat Management Plan. I believe they have populated the state very well and trapping them would help ensure their health and continued population growth. I applaud you for your efforts in expanding the range of the trapping season to more areas of NYS. I know all trappers and wildlife professionals fully support this plan.
finish with your name and phone number as they always take it more seriously those that do. Don't forget to put Bobcat Plan in subject box.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gobblergetter. There have been over 100 views of my post and only one person has come back with a response. You might look at this as "I don't hunt or trap in NYS so what do I care". Believe me, this is just as much an attack on us as it is for NYS. Why do you think we lost the leghold trap? Because everyone let someone else worry about it. It is time to unite. Please, it only takes a minute to click on the blue highlighted e-mail address and two minutes of your time. Thanks again, Gregg

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I did it,, just didn't feel the need to air it,I'm sure it's the same for other members. [up]

·
Registered
403 Posts
Here is what I sent with a little modification of the template you provided:

"I believe bobcats have populated the state very well, as they are doing here in NJ and trapping should certainly be part of any management program.
The hands-on inspection of trapped or otherwise harvested bobcats provides valuable data collection opportunities for wildlife professionals that would ensure their health and continued population growth. "

Scott

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is a portion of a letter I received today from John Rockwood (in his own words) who is the president of the NYS trappers association.
"Thanks Gregg! We greatly appreciate your help. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that there were so many anti letters against the bobcat plan and so few from sportsman in favor of it. Thank you for not being too busy to help. Thanks again, John"
I would like to extend this letter of thanks to all of you who took the time to respond. Gregg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts