New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was just surprised with an upstate NY turkey hunt guide gift. I get to pick any weekend in may. The guide said the first week or third week is the best, the first is good but sometimes you dont get good weather, and the third is good because most of the hens have already gone to nest and they males sometimes respond better.

Anyone have any upstate ny turkey hunting experience? Should I go with the opening weekend or the third weekend?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
where exactly in upstate ny are you going? I hunted in oswego county around Pulaski for three seasons from 2000 to 02 all for the 3rd week. The first 2 years were amazing with birds everywhere actively looking for hens (since they were on nest like you had mentioned) but the third year wasn't so hot because they had a really rough winter and lots of birds didnt make it. The guy who owned the motel I stayed at said that the locals like to find their birds and get them in that first week so by week three i liked the fact that the woods were pretty empty

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
That's a great present!The first week the birds may be henned up,I'd probably go on week 3...
Are you still interested in NJ? If so,there's a good chance you'll already have gotten a bird by the time you hit NY.Keep in touch...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
browning im still interested in nj.

And no my parents asked my wife and she recommended a guided hunt, and that Ive been checking out spring turkey hunts!!!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I go turkey hunting in NY go the third or fourth week. The weather sucks the first week.
I had a bright idea that turkeys would live in the southern adironack mountains, and figured how cold could it be up there the first week of may last year. Got to the cabin without a heater (I figured hell why would I need a heater in may) and it was 27 degrees at 4 am. Then I found out the turkeys really don't live in the mountains. And when I asked a local hey you guys have turkeys around here he told me yeah go 20-30 miles to walmart, they have tons of turkeys !!! On the way home, when I finally got to some of the middle counties I saw turkeys everywhere. But all private land.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I hunt on 50 acres private in sullivan county. Most of the turkeys I see are at the base of the mountain, walking the gulleys. This year on opening day I froze my [no swearing please] off. 4 hours in cold windy drizzle, And did'nt get one gobble.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dennis are you going to turkey hunt your private property
The ocean county property? Yes, if I can get the birds to come to the property. Youve seen the ones across the street so I know they are in the area. I havent found any more turkey feathers lately. Someone told me to try growing some chufa.

You interested in hunting them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts